How to fix issue with GT Tacho not working.

empawks

Member +
So I recently reached out to someone who had a tacho assembly after trying to problem solve my way through all the wiring in my EP82.

With a little help from an unknown person who worked with MR2 clusters, he advised me to replace 2x 10uf 50v Capacitors on the board.

I thought id give it a go with my original one out of the GT as it didnt move at all, The 2nd hand one I put in wasnt reading right at all. What was the worst that could happen.

The new caps will be double the size, I thought I had the wrong ones but they dont sell any smaller than that anymore.

The 2 caps that need replacing are the electrolitic can looking ones. They are dark blue and mine unfortunatly had no marking visiable to the eye. I suggest trying to replace them without pulling the needle off as to save youself some calibration and trial and error. With the clock facing upright, look to the side and the top cap is negative towards you. The lower cap is negative down.

Such a simple fix, not much information online.

Hopefully this helps someone.

empawks

Member +
Good info. Do you have any pics?
I could take a few pics of the spare tacho showing the caps, I however didnt take any during.

This is assuming your tacho just dies a natural death.. and was not tinkered with before dying.. right..? :)
Depends what you classify as a natural death ;)

The MR2 forum people were saying that its the crux of the actual tacho, the caps die from the heat they are subject to sadly. Hopefully with the 50v caps they last the test of time.

GTJames

Fresh Recruit
I could take a few pics of the spare tacho showing the caps, I however didnt take any during.

Depends what you classify as a natural death ;)

The MR2 forum people were saying that its the crux of the actual tacho, the caps die from the heat they are subject to sadly. Hopefully with the 50v caps they last the test of time.
Let me know if you manage to fix your tach as mine is also currently faulty.

empawks

Member +
Let me know if you manage to fix your tach as mine is also currently faulty.
Hi mate, all is fixed and this info helped another GT owner to get their tach back on the road.

You are just 2x 10uf caps away from having a working tacho.

GTJames

Fresh Recruit
Hi mate, all is fixed and this info helped another GT owner to get their tach back on the road.

You are just 2x 10uf caps away from having a working tacho.
Would some beers for your troubles be too little to ask for some help repairing my own cluster? I'm located on the gold coast but If we have a matching up free day could easily bring the car up Brisbane way. Flick me a message on the forum or hit my Instagram @jamesing97 if you'd be keen to help out as I'm dogshit with electronics.