How to flush coolant?

MWP

Member +
Hi all,

Just bought an EP82, doing the normal change of oil, filter, etc, etc.

I want to empty the rad/engine of coolant and replace it with new stuff.
The only problem is that the tap on the bottom of the rad only empties whats in the radiator.

Is there a plug/bolt on the block somewhere that will release the coolant thats left in the block?

Thanks!

MWP

Member +
I searched for "flush coolant" and "empty coolant".
Guess i searched for the wrong thing.

[edit]

That "guide" is wrong...
As i have found, just emptying the coolant out of the radiator (as done in that thread) only empties about 1/4 of the coolant in the car. It does not empty the coolant from the engine block.

Toyota service centers would not use the "empty, fill with water, empty, fill with coolant" technique as it takes too long and can crack the head/block (need to have the thermostat open, which means hot engine, and introducing cold coolant to hot engine = bad things happen).
So there must be another way to empty the coolant from the block.

Last edited:

GTti

Member +
This is only around a 4L/5L system. I wouldn't quite say only 1/4 of the coolant is in the radiator more like 3/4.

There is no way to remove all the coolant from the block - however most of it will drain via the bottom hose. If you want to flush it all out then take my advise. If not then fill it up...

I'm not quite sure how you're going to change the coolant in an engine that hot to cause a cracked head or block, I'd be more worried about the coolant scolding my face when you remove the radiator cap.

Big_Daddy

Member +
The way i do it, 1st drain the whole coolant via nose at bottom of the rady, then disconect both hose from the rady. Using a hose, spray water into the top rady pipe and the water will star pouring from the bottom, keep doint it till the water comes clear. do the same for the rady.

danturbo4311

Member +
There is a plug on the front of the block which is behind the turbo you can use a 14mm spanner or socket to remove it, but its effort to get to it just to drain the block as you need to remove the turbo (i think, cant remeber did it a while ago) but only because i was doing the head gasket

MWP

Member +
The way i do it, 1st drain the whole coolant via nose at bottom of the rady, then disconect both hose from the rady. Using a hose, spray water into the top rady pipe and the water will star pouring from the bottom, keep doint it till the water comes clear. do the same for the rady.

That sounds like the best way to do it so far, thanks :)