how to identify gear box?any numbers on them?

Rob H

Member +
I have 3 gear boxes sat in the shed I have a ep82 GT box, EP91 SR box and a corolla box I know which one belongs each car thats the easy bit but is there any numbers on the boxes to say which model the box is so I can compare the ratios befor I stick my cusco diff in one???

Cheers Rep will be given!!

im not 100% sure but there is no numbers on g'boxes too identify them though ( for Starlets). Only indication of what gbox you have, on a Starlet is written on the fire wall mounted plate, there is a transmission code there

Skalabala

Member +
How does one know when a box has lsd or not?
i can get a imported 4EFTE engine with box, but dont know if it has lsd or not?

if its the standard gbox with stock lsd the gbox mount will be different from a stock non lsd gbox and drive shafts will be of different lenghts too

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
hi rob all i know after doing my research on corolla and mr2 forums is
where the fork is that connect to clutch release bearing, there should be a number there on a c52 or c56 box.
if the number ends in 180 its a c56 gearbox.
i know not much help, but thats all i know after my research when had mine apart recently.

Skalabala

Member +
if its the standard gbox with stock lsd the gbox mount will be different from a stock non lsd gbox and drive shafts will be of different lenghts too

sounds like something to work on, how do the two mounts look?
can you send me a link of pictures?
thanks a lot :)

whiteglanzav

Member +
sounds like something to work on, how do the two mounts look?
can you send me a link of pictures?
thanks a lot :)

ask and you shall recieve - this is an oem lsd gearbox as you can see it has an extra bit of housing around the back of it

IMG_0479.jpg

dark_knight

Member +
OEM limited slip diff

@Skalabala: wait. i concur with the lower left extension being part of the OEM LSD in the picture you just shared but the top side is a standard part of the ep transmissions, unless you're saying maybe it's larger than the one on a standard box..?

Last edited:

D3N0

Member +
I searched all five gearboxs in my possession, from 4efte, 5efe, 5efhe, etc. its easy to tell the which box is which from outside, due to the many differences in the housings between them. but a stamped part number or reference i cannot find.

dark_knight

Member +
vin plate box identity

I searched all five gearboxs in my possession, from 4efte, 5efe, 5efhe, etc. its easy to tell the which box is which from outside, due to the many differences in the housings between them. but a stamped part number or reference i cannot find.

i concur mate. there's no stamped identity on the box itself. just the detail on the vin plate..

Skalabala

Member +
@Skalabala: wait. i concur with the lower left extension being part of the OEM LSD in the picture you just shared but the top side is a standard part of the ep transmissions, unless you're saying maybe it's larger than the one on a standard box..?

i was asking if it looks different bud :)

D3N0 buddy dont be shy. tell us how we look if it is 4EFE or a LSD box please? :)

and thanx whiteglanzav :)