How to Increase your boost without uprated actuator or boost controller

Member +
as above its a few pics of how we have managed to increse the boost safely and cheaply on my mates car (running td04).
I say safely as when were reducing the length of the actuator arm, the boost was staying at the same level initially then creeping up - caused by the reduction in movement of the actuator arm.

The soloution was to increase the force needed to open the wastegate but before this can be done, we had to increase the actuator arm length i.e. so theres not much tension holding the wastegate closed - so the actuator has the potential to open the wastegate fully - avoiding creep.
then make a bracket on the wastegate arm which a spring could be attached to as well as the actuator bracket and its tension adjusted accordingly.

To make the bracket we got a piece of mild steel, drilled two holes about an inch appart, and fitted the bracket between the actuator arm nut and the knuckel thing that attaches to the wastegate arm.

We done this on a td04 and increased the boost from 0.5 bar to 0.9bar. When the fueling is checked i'll adjust it some more.

Hope this helps a few people increase there boost without winding there actuator up to a point where there is no travel!
edd.

NOTE: it is trial and error as to how much tension to put on the spring and how much the boost will be increased by as everybodys setup is different, but with patience good results can be achieved

dantheman

Member +
yeeeeee haaaaaa

207891426_773fe934b5.jpg

dantheman

Member +
dont try turn it round on me :haha: LOL (google)

on a more serious note, seems alot of hassle when you can just chuck an uprated actuator on for next to nothing and it will do a better and more accurate job.

if you wanted to run more boost on the cheap you can pierce the actuator vac pipe with a needle and it will work like a bleed valve..

You can use a small pair of vice-grips or some sort of clamp on the vacuum pipe from the turbo to actuator. The more you tighten it then the faster you go:rockon:

Member +
You can use a small pair of vice-grips or some sort of clamp on the vacuum pipe from the turbo to actuator. The more you tighten it then the faster you go:rockon:

true, but it works both ways, when you need the wastegate to close it will close at a slower rate to.
thanks for the constructive input, unlike some of the above :)

dinob

Fresh Recruit
true, but it works both ways, when you need the wastegate to close it will close at a slower rate to.
thanks for the constructive input, unlike some of the above :)

hey buddy, how much power will our engine gain if you place a clamp to restrict the vacuum from turbo to actuator?

Member +
hey buddy, how much power will our engine gain if you place a clamp to restrict the vacuum from turbo to actuator?

hav't tried it for reasons mentioned above

piercing the actuator vac pipe is a common mod the pulsar boys use to run 1 bar isnt it?

yeah, that will work well, until the pipe splits and your boost goes through the roof :homer:

It was my car, the advantage of using this method was that

1. It was free
2. It works, It is sort of adjustable and holds boost very well
3. It took 20minutes to do instead of me having to wait days for a an uprated actuator or manual boost controller to arrive.
4. The actuator that comes with the td04 may be able to hold boost at a bar no problem so buying an uprated actuator or manual boost controller may be an uneeded expense if purchased before hand so this is a good intermediary solution

steo800

Member +
along with cheap methods stated above, heres some other cheap ways of increasing boost....

1.cut pipe to actuator, add metal pipe, drill small holes in pipe to increase boost

2.put washers between actuator and metal bracket where actuator bolts to

these may be cheaper options, but they are no alternative to an ebc

standard td04 actuator will easily do 1 bar of boost by changing arm lenght, no need for anything DIY style.

what you get with an ebc is better spool and the option of having different boost settings. my greddy profec b spec 2 gave me 3 options-

1. off(actuator setting)
2. lo
3. hi

couple this boost controller with the remote switching system and you have no replacement for an ebc. while im switching between different boost settings, im leaving you on the line wheel spinning or out of a hairpin struggling for traction

Member +
go to an uprated actuator dont take short cuts, it will do the work far more better!

the only difference between a standard actuator and an uprated actuator is the strength of the spring. I have effectivly increased the force required to open the wastegate for free, so it aint a short cut and it wont work any better :)

ryan_v

Lifer
thats looks like a good job and makes sense, that will be reliable not like a hole in a vacum pipe lol

Member +
thats looks like a good job and makes sense, that will be reliable not like a hole in a vacum pipe lol

thanks ryan. obviously you have some common sense and understand how the actuator works in conjunction with the wastegate