how to set the idle on a 4e-fte.

VQ'ed

Member +
Im pretty new to the 4e-fte. i swapped one in my tercel and im at the startup setup. i cant figure how to set a respectable idle off the engine. i was wondering which nipple should i use to get to run normally and Where is the idle air controller valve or mechanism???

At the moment, every nipple is covered beside the brake booster and blow-off vacuum.

i was wondering what the small canister at the opposite end of the intake manifold was for?? (left from the intake airtemp. sensor) It looks like a control valve with a 5/16 nipple on topside.

VQ'ed

Member +
Actually the car has the o2 sensor out of the exhaust as its being constructed (that maybe why the car run super rich with FULL blue smoke coming out the downpipe.) I know, i know guys it doesn't help the car to stabilize the idle if the o2 isnt in the exhaust but it run VERY ROUGH> it shakes the car like hell. By the way, is the firing order is 1-3-4-2??

kieran.s gt

Member +
i adjust my idle with this screw
run great
idleadjust.jpg
since

VQ'ed

Member +
thanks mate, i totally forgot about that screw!! LOL...
I remember not to play too much with the screw but it was on my older nissan maxima equipped with an idle air controller valve.

I figure also there's nipples UNDERNEATH the throttle to bypass the air that goes against the throttle plate. Can i have a picture underneath the throttle with inlet pipe disconnected. thanks.

VQ'ed

Member +
Is anybody knows how the air goes past the throttle plate at idle on a 4e-fte??? Mechanically??? with a controller valve???

profane

Member +
I also have a problem whereby, the idle of my car's engine is very high at cold starts, about 1500rpm and then goes down to about 900 rpm when its at operating temperature.

I don't think tweaking the butterfly adjustment screw will solve this problem entirely, because its just a trim adjuster and adjusting it would only cause idle to be not linear. This means if idle is set by adj. this screw at, say cold start to make it lower, then the idle at operating temperature might drop a bit too much to cause improper idling.

Does anyone know how the ISC valve works ? Its located (I think) on the left side of the inlet manifold when looking from the front toward the engine.

I don't have one installed and I think this is what the problem might be.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Actually the car has the o2 sensor out of the exhaust as its being constructed (that maybe why the car run super rich with FULL blue smoke coming out the downpipe.) I know, i know guys it doesn't help the car to stabilize the idle if the o2 isnt in the exhaust but it run VERY ROUGH> it shakes the car like hell. By the way, is the firing order is 1-3-4-2??

blue smoke aint nothing god and its not cos of the o2 sensor...i ran a good time without one and had no blue smoke and ran fine

VQ'ed

Member +
thanks for taking care to answer me, i solved the problem by changing the plugs, touching the distributor a bit. it runs better.

if anyone want to see my project go in the new member section...
pretty cool to watch, sorry for the accent, im french canadian.

ginor

Member +
I also have a problem whereby, the idle of my car's engine is very high at cold starts, about 1500rpm and then goes down to about 900 rpm when its at operating temperature.

All cars do this mate, I was worried when my rover was lol