How to tell

Turbloide2

Member +
Ive removed my turbo off my glanza as once it had warmed up it was producing alot of blue smoke out the exhaust.

Ive removed it and bought a new one but what is the way of cheaking if the turbo is knacked and making the blue smoke ?

Excuse me while i talk shit, but i beleve blue smoke is caused by the oil seals.. so it might be worth checking those first!

I might be wrong..

Timmy

Member +
blue smoke would be caused by the compressor side seal going as the oil must have combusted to be blue. There should be more than average oil in the intercooler.

Chris@CCM

Member +
blue smoke would be caused by the compressor side seal going as the oil must have combusted to be blue. There should be more than average oil in the intercooler.
will be blue if the exhaust side is away too as it just burns in the exhaust

Turbloide2

Member +
thanks peeps, what does play in the shaft indicate ?

Also when you have a turbo rebuilt do they just do the seals ?
what if these was exesive play in shaft ?

The turbo i took off was quite black and sooty at the rear but no real sign of wet oil tho and minimal play in the shaft....

I have a turbo to fit that looks newer and cleaner but has more play in the shaft than the old one i removed.....

Timmy

Member +
will be blue if the exhaust side is away too as it just burns in the exhaust

Wrong it burning oil is white/grey. Combusted oil is blue and would have to have gone through the engine.

I wouldn't bother install the either turbo personaly, shaft play should pretty much be no existant.

Turbloide2

Member +
Where can i get it rebuilt so there is no play in shaft and new seals so does not burn oil ?

thanks alot for you help :)

Timmy

Member +
well, there are loads of companies in the uk such as turbo technics ect. I'm sure someone must be able recommend one on here. It's not cheap tho about £300+.