How to test Coolant Sensor?

Muddy_fox

Member +
Hello!

Can you help me on how to test the coolant sensor?

1368163868_zps9477b109.jpg

The one with "GREEN" connector.

I noticed that when my engine is cold my idle is around 1.3k rpm and it takes a while (10-20 mins) to drop to 850 rpm.

Thanks

5e colin

Member +
use a multimeter and trow the sensor in boiling water for 5 min then check the 2 pins again if it opens closes

dac69er

Super Moderator
use a multimeter and trow the sensor in boiling water for 5 min then check the 2 pins again if it opens closes

its not a thermostat. the resistance will change depending on the temperature. not sure of the readings off the top of my head though. been covered a few times so may be able to find it with a search.

your idle sounds fine to me.

Muddy_fox

Member +
its not a thermostat. the resistance will change depending on the temperature. not sure of the readings off the top of my head though. been covered a few times so may be able to find it with a search.

your idle sounds fine to me.

I find this Water-temp-sensors-what-are-the-symptoms-if-failed but there's no guide or instruction on how to test the sensor. Also you've mentioned that the resistance change as the temperature change, do you have a resistance value for diff temps?

thanks

dac69er

Super Moderator
as i said, i cant remember them. havnt tested one in a long time.

if your not getting a coolant temperature sensor error code i wouldnt worry as your idle seems normal to me. if your coolant sensor is gone you will get consistantly strange idle and it will run badly.

weeJohn

Lifer
At 80 degrees Centigrade it should have a resistance of 322 Ohms, the colder the coolant is, the higher the resistance goes, about 10KOhms for 10 degrees from memory.