Hybrid TD04 VS WEPR GT20-fs

kalibwenm

Member +
Hi all...i'm planning on upgrading to a bigger turbo setup, with a good response and big power throughout the mid-range and top-end. I have 2 setups in mind, a TD04 hybrid or a WEPR GT20-FS...What i would like to know, is the differences in spooling time and power outputs from each turbo, on a 4efte with stock internals.

BTW, it's very mountainous where i live, and the roads are curvy.

Your sincere response would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers .

do you run a 4efte or "5efte"?
if stock 4efte, i'd say the tdo4l will spool at maybe 2500/3000rpm, and really come on around 4000/4500rpm (1 bar)....however, i'm not sure its the best turbo for twisty/curvy roads with a lot of slow corners where you constantly need to "respool" and want immediate response...not on a stock 4efte

i'd more suggest the slightly smaller variant the tf035, which should be more responsive and maybe better suited to what you want

i'd suggest you read this tread below if you haven't seen it before
http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/92633-tf035-4cm-vs-6cm-turbine-housing/

same exact fitment as subaru td04l, so if you wanted you could upgrade to the td04l later on

i've no information on the gt20 wepr kit you mentioned,,,so cant comment

if you have a "5efte" then a td04l is heaven in terms of response lol....

kalibwenm

Member +
Thanks gorganl2000.

I'll take a look at that link.

I have a 4efte btw, i was thinking of going 5efte, but the 5efhe parts are super rare over here...but if you do come across any other options, please let me know.

cheers :)

GP82

Member +
These are all good turbos to net you good response and power from a 4efte. gorganl2000's recommendation of the tfo35 would also result in very good response, however if you want the ultimate in response, I would not underestimate a proper hybrid Ct9 setup. In a similar environment in a EP82 my car was much quicker on a hybrid Ct9 running 18 - 19 psi then a EP91 on TD04l running 16 psi.

These are all good turbos to net you good response and power from a 4efte. gorganl2000's recommendation of the tfo35 would also result in very good response, however if you want the ultimate in response, I would not underestimate a proper hybrid Ct9 setup. In a similar environment in a EP82 my car was much quicker on a hybrid Ct9 running 18 - 19 psi then a EP91 on TD04l running 16 psi.

i kind of think the hybrid ct9 and tf035 are similar in performance

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/98430-turbo-choice/

just seems the tf035 can maybe be a bit more reliable, make slightly more power up top and cheaply replaced if broken..and its an easy upgrade to td04l later on if the urge persists

..there are a lot of hybrid ct9s out there and based on the readings they are not all created equal.....something like genuine blitz, tongs, speedvision may be worth a try.....but again there are a lot of knock offs about so he would need to choose wisely

Last edited:

kalibwenm

Member +
Thank you all for your views and opinions. :)

The blitz k1 looks alright, but they're super rare...

I read about the TF035, it would have been perfect, but we don't have it over here, plus I have a friend in Australia, whom i asked to source it out for me and he told me that they are rare and more expensive than a TD04l...So, how much would it really cost me?

I have a contact in Malaysia though, i'll see if i can get a TF035 over there too...

I've been offered a TD04l from a WRX engine, but idk still thinking about wether i will buy it or not...i'm thinking a very short intercooler pipe route, a free flow side exit exhaust, and a good tune from an emanage ultimate, might help to bring it to full boost at around 3000-3300rpm maybe...

Thank you all for your views and opinions. :)

The blitz k1 looks alright, but they're super rare...

I read about the TF035, it would have been perfect, but we don't have it over here, plus I have a friend in Australia, whom i asked to source it out for me and he told me that they are rare and more expensive than a TD04l...So, how much would it really cost me?

I have a contact in Malaysia though, i'll see if i can get a TF035 over there too...

I've been offered a TD04l from a WRX engine, but idk still thinking about wether i will buy it or not...i'm thinking a very short intercooler pipe route, a free flow side exit exhaust, and a good tune from an emanage ultimate, might help to bring it to full boost at around 3000-3300rpm maybe...

that's strange...usually here the aus guys talking about them...thought it was easy to get over there
maybe try ebay as well and subaru forester forums...they should be cheaper than a td04l

i dont see a stock 4efte low compression engine getting any kind of reasonable full boost by 3000/3300rpm with a td04l...regardless
the td04l has been done countless times...no kind of evidence to support those kinds of achievements

with a 5e, you may see 1 bar by around 3500/4000rpm depending on the build

kalibwenm

Member +
yeah, i found it strange too, but like you said i'll check on the forester forums, and i talked to my contact in malaysia, he said he'll try to source it out for me overthere.

If i do get the TF035, would i need to switch to bigger injectors, and use a Piggyback ECU, or the stock system will do?...i would like to boost 13psi minimum.

yes, you will need the usual upgrades to run that turbo safely at your stated minimum 13psi...basically similar upgrades to what you would do for a td04l

it would be beyond the capacity of the stock ecu by itself