I feel bad but i dont think its my fault!

Rossi-GTturbo

Member +
I have just sold my car to this guy and i was honest in telling him everything! ive always looked after it servicing and parts etc, so he bought the car of me, 2 days later he rings me up saying the car wont start and i dont think he knows much about cars but he just text me saying it in toyota and they are having a look to see whats wrong with it and he said i should pay toward the bill!!!

ive told him to check all the basic things but didnt work, then his mate did a compression test and he said it was low but he didnt say what th reading was, he also said the garage think it is the valves or somthing that they are bent!

i feel bad that this has happened but i dont think it is my fault that this has happened as i havent abused it and i definly didnt know something was wrong with it!

ive told him that it was sold as seen and he is going to have to pay for it, do you think im right in doing that or should a pay some???

dac69er

Super Moderator
sold as seen means that mate. if the valves are bent you would have known that before you sold it. people try it on sometimes.

without knowing the car and both parties its hard to say. its his problem now anyway, unless you just want to pay a bit as a good will gesture!?

bucketep91

Member +
if the car wasnt running fine when he baught it he should have checked it out then not after hes got it home. i wouldnt pay anything 2wards it mate u have been honest with the buyer so its not ur fault.

Knightsy-EP91

Member +
Mate you didnt know that anything was wrong and as you said its sold as seen unfortunately. I bet he wouldnt pay towards a car you bought off of him.

Rossi-GTturbo

Member +
Mate you didnt know that anything was wrong and as you said its sold as seen unfortunately. I bet he wouldnt pay towards a car you bought off of him.

yeh that is what i said to him! but he was saying he only drove it home and the next day it wouldnt start!

i just dont want it getting messy and him turnnig up demanding money ill just have to give him a slap if he does:slap:

danturbo4311

Member +
people like this piss me off & is why i hate selling things, I sold a turbo almost brand new & it worked perfectly without no issues, i done about 700 miles with it, sold it cheap. The buyer & his mates installed it & about a week later he rings me up saying he has oil coming from bov & he went to a garage & they said it was turbo seals, he told me it was the reason he changed the original turbo. He wanted me to pay to get it rebuilt, i said if its my fault we can sort something out but i no im 99% sure its not the turbo. I asked him how much oil was coming from bov, he said lots, i asked if they did a compression test his reply was, "whats that". So i told him to bring his car to me & ill check it, so i spent some of my time on saturday for free doing a compression test, the results told the true story, the smoke coming from the breathers wasnt enough of a hint, turned out he had cracked pistons.
the point of this is that if people dont no what there buying dont buy, it or get someone who knows what there doing to check it first.

jcivic

Member +
tell him to go and shite man its sold as seen not as if he baught this off a garage. the exact same thing happened to a mate of mine over a evo and things got really bad and the lad that bought the car threatend my mate and his family and threatend my mate for money which he payed in the end as he was in fear off his life it got that bad

Shorty

Member +
yea im sure he just drove it home. More like raged the tits off it and has damaged it. Sold as seen means exactly that! He has prob damaged it and is skint from buying it so blaming you so it gets fixed! Tell him to piss of mate.

J25GTi

Lifer
What the hell is all this "sold as seen rubbish"

Sorry, but sold as seen does not absolve you from responsibility, second hand cars are subject to all the same laws as new items, If it is indeed faulty and can be proved it was like it before he bought it etc, then he will have to provide a refund, or pay the bill to fix the car,

You can be taken to the small claims court over this and they will force you to do it if he can prove it was like it before.

You can try and argue it and get away with paying nothing, but if he knows his rights you wont have an option:(

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car

Sorry, but sold as seen does not absolve you from responsibility, second hand cars are subject to all the same laws as new items, If it is indeed faulty and can be proved it was like it before he bought it etc, then he will have to provide a refund, or pay the bill to fix the car,

You can be taken to the small claims court over this and they will force you to do it if he can prove it was like it before.

You can try and argue it and get away with paying nothing, but if he knows his rights you wont have an option:(

What you said is true for a dealer but not so likely with a private sale.

Texx

Super Moderator

I disagree, private sales are not covered by the same laws or regulations.

If it can be proved that the seller had prior knowledge of a fault or defect that was not disclosed or blatantly obvious to the buyer at the time of the sale, then yes there could be grounds for the buyer to sue the seller, but in all honesty how would you prove that the seller had prior knowledge?

The issue occurred after the sale had taken place, it was not apparent at the time of the sale nor was it apparent before hand. The car started and drove fine, 2 days later it did not. 2 days later it becomes the buyers problem.

J25GTi

Lifer
I disagree, private sales are not covered by the same laws or regulations.

If it can be proved that the seller had prior knowledge of a fault or defect that was not disclosed or blatantly obvious to the buyer at the time of the sale, then yes there could be grounds for the buyer to sue the seller, but in all honesty how would you prove that the seller had prior knowledge?

The issue occurred after the sale had taken place, it was not apparent at the time of the sale nor was it apparent before hand. The car started and drove fine, 2 days later it did not. 2 days later it becomes the buyers problem.

No, i agree with what your saying, but im just warning him that it is possible as he does still have a responsibility, and if for some reason he can prove an existing problems, then he will have a problem

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
No, i agree with what your saying, but im just warning him that it is possible as he does still have a responsibility, and if for some reason he can prove an existing problems, then he will have a problem

An existing problem, no. Only if it was an existing problem and he knew about it and didn't tell the buyer would it be a problem.

Look up "Caveat emptor", as sam said it would be different if you were a dealer (Sale of Goods act 1979 as amended 1994 would then apply) but you aren't.

It was working at the time of sale and all your representations at the time regarding the condition of the car were correct at the time of sale. He doesn't have a leg to stand on and it's the risk you take buying a used car.

It's unfortunate but things on cars break would he be expecting you to put new clutchs and tyres etc on for the rest of the time he has it.

edit: I took ages to write this, Texx and Sam are right and so are you(J25) to an extent but he has no way of prooving prior knowledge even if there was which there wasn't and he also would have needed to asked questions relating to the problem

Last edited: