i really need help..

Ghost 12

Member +
hello i need help my mil lamp is on and the blink code said 52 it is the kncok sensor but this one is new and the cabel to the ecu is also okay.

can anybody help me or did anyone had also the mistake?

is it right 52 is the knock sensor?

thanks

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
have you reset the ecu after changing the sensor?

if so, when does the light come on? as soon as you drive the car or when you are driving it hard?

Ghost 12

Member +
@philstarletgt
it is a original one

@dac69er

the lamp comes at 2000 rpm.the first time i come to 2000 rpm the lamp is on.
ecu reset?i have disconnected the battery

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds like its not working. i had the same problem when the connector was broken. is the cable and connector definitely 100% all the way to the ecu?
if it is then it can only be the knock sensor. you will have to change it again. is the knock sensor brand new or second hand? is it from a starlet or another car?

weeJohn

Lifer
Is the engine knocking?

They need to be torqued up to a specific torque to work correctly as well. A search will find the correct value, I cant remember off hand sorry.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Is the engine knocking?

They need to be torqued up to a specific torque to work correctly as well. A search will find the correct value, I cant remember off hand sorry.

really? surely it shouldnt matter as long as its tight? i cant see why it would affect it unless it was overtight and damaged it or too loose to cause vibration. i never torqued mine up and its fine.

weeJohn

Lifer
As you spark you probably might know this already, its a piezoelectric sensor, which when pressure is applied to (in this case, pressure waves through the block caused by detonation in the cylinders) causes the crystal inside to produce a current or voltage.

If its torqued up to much then there is a certain ammount of pressure already on the sensor base and there fore a certain ammount of current already being produced, and if its not tight enough then the opposite is the case.

dac69er

Super Moderator
yeah, but its looking for a fluctuating frequency rather than just a set pressure? as long as its not too loose to cause vibration or too tight to damage anything then it should be fine.

Ghost 12

Member +
hello it is a second hand because the nwe one is rellay expensiv.
the cabel is ok.
or should i make a new cabel from the sensor to the ecu?

i dont think the engine is knocking because the engine is rebuild with new piston(low compression)

is it posibly that the ecu is broken?

thanks

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
i would doubt it is the ecu, but it could be.

have you used a meter to test the continiuty of the cable?

is the knock sensor from a starlet? if the cable isnt the problem i would try another sensor if you can

weeJohn

Lifer
yeah, but its looking for a fluctuating frequency rather than just a set pressure? as long as its not too loose to cause vibration or too tight to damage anything then it should be fine.

No, as revs change then so would the frequency of the det. It detects lots of vibrations from the engine as it rotates, its only when you get a bigger pressure wave through the block caused by detonation that its enough to trigger an output from the sensor.

It possibly only looks at it for a moment in time after the spark is triggered on each cylinder to prevent false knock readings, but I dont know if thats true or not.

@Ghost, I would check the wiring back to the ECU is good and if its not I would try another sensor that you know is OK.

Ghost 12

Member +
so the is tested with the meter and the sensor is from a corolla.

what would be if i put the plug on the sensor but dont put the sonsor on the motor?so the sensor cant find vibrations and the lamp cant go on or???

will this work only for a test ?

weeJohn

Lifer
I have never tried that mate so I dont know. The ECU might think its an open circuit if its not connected as there is a screen on the wire (connected to earth) that goes into the sensor.

Possible the Corolla sensor is a different type or range as well, do the part numbers match?

dac69er

Super Moderator
that may work, but you would have to mount it in such a way that it wouldnt pick up any vibrations

Ghost 12

Member +
but i can plug the cabel with the sensor and dont fit in the motor so it isnt open.is the cabel only for earth?i think the cabel is for power and the earth gos about the metall?

sorry for my really bad english but its not easy to discribe

dac69er

Super Moderator
No, as revs change then so would the frequency of the det. It detects lots of vibrations from the engine as it rotates, its only when you get a bigger pressure wave through the block caused by detonation that its enough to trigger an output from the sensor.

It possibly only looks at it for a moment in time after the spark is triggered on each cylinder to prevent false knock readings, but I dont know if thats true or not.

@Ghost, I would check the wiring back to the ECU is good and if its not I would try another sensor that you know is OK.

i know the frequency will change, but you said it is looking for a pressure. it isnt, it is looking for a frequency.

i would imagine it is setup to throw the engine warning light up when i sees a certain frequency at a certain amplitude. i wouldnt have thought it is particularly accurate, it is just for safety. the engineers probably know the most common frequency of the knock on this engine and use that.

that is essentially how you set up some of the other aftermarket knock sensors. you pick a frequency or a small frequency range and an amplitude and that creates your knock level.

dac69er

Super Moderator
but i can plug the cabel with the sensor and dont fit in the motor so it isnt open.is the cabel only for earth?i think the cabel is for power and the earth gos about the metall?

sorry for my really bad english but its not easy to discribe

the outside of the cable is a shield to try and stop any current from any other cables from causing spikes or incorrect readings. the inside cable is the signal cable which needs to be perfect condition with no bad connections due to the low voltage used.

Ghost 12

Member +
so i cant check an knock sensor??

i cant get an other one and the new is very expensiv in germany. it is 180 euros.

I do not know what to do