Ice installation & Random stuff...

Sazzy

Member +
maybe there is already a thread for this and someone could point me in the right direction, Piccies for fitting my sub and amp?

And in the next few days I'm going to take some piccies of random things that are in my car to find out what they are... like a little black box strapped to the drivers footwell... with a light that is constantly on... has like 6 button things on it but it's all in japanish ;)

(I know it's japaneese... but japanish sounds better :) )

Jules-B

Member +
What kind of help do you need on the soundsystem?
your not too far away from me if you need a hand.

as for random boxes..send me some pics and ill see if i can help

GTdan

In The Closet
fitting any sub and amp in any car is same theory, hardest thing tends to be wiring the positive (red lead) from battery to boot through bulkhead.
Oh and remember to feed the rca leads and the positive line on opposite sides of the car.

Sazzy

Member +
I am just looking to see if anyone has piccies of where to go through the bulkhead, I found info how to get the front off the dash to change my stereo, and if anyone has details of where is best to run the leads through the car... my golf was easier than this :( I'm just scared of hurting something.

Thanks for your help so far guys, I know about running power and rca opposite sides of the car.

just thought it would be a good little thing for me to do, you know how hard it is being a woman lol!:confused:

CMR

Member +
The best place to run the cable is behind the inlet mani, below the map sensor. If you put the power lead through there it will appear above the pedals. Its a bit annoying though because sometimes you cant see it being fed through!

edit;

this is the grommet i mean

ignore the other arrows on the first pic
DSC00566boost.jpg

DSC00565.jpg

Sazzy

Member +
Thank you that is very helpful :) I'm going to start by looking at the headunit today because I'm petrified of what I'm going to find behind it lol.
Rep awarded :)

Are there no gromits on the passenger side? tis the side I've always gone through :s lol.

CMR

Member +
There is, but they are not as easy to get to.

You will probably find lots and lots of wiring, japs love to bodge headunit cables :)

Sazzy

Member +
thankfully it's standard headunit coming out, althought I'm a bit worried I won't get through that grommit with the aforementioned black box that sits in the drivers footwell... I think the leads to that all go through there :(
Right I'm just dressed and heading outside to get the old stereo out... I'm starting to fear I'll end up in Halfrauds getting bits to sort the mess out I'm going to cause lol.

munday

Member +
do gts not have that big grommet on the bulkhead in line with where the battery is? Piss easy to go through that one

Sazzy

Member +
do gts not have that big grommet on the bulkhead in line with where the battery is? Piss easy to go through that one

It appears not! :( does everyone agree with the gromit in the piccies because I'm about to go attend to it :)

Sazzy

Member +
Thank you... Me heads off with me latex gloves and scarf... blade and a man in tow... just to over see things... you know what it's like... lol I will let people know how I got on... :)

Sazzy

Member +
Ok ok after much debating, nearly giving up, swearing at my little baby, 2 kitchen knives, a rather large blue point screwdriver, a couple of skinned knuckles and... I made a hole in the gromit.... after nearly losing the will to live as the cable was not going through the hole in the gromit, much more skin off the knuckles and I finally got the gromit out :) (not to mention part of the stupid freaking toyota screwdriver falling through into the engine bay!!!) and I do indeed have pictures which I'll post up a little later on just for people who may encounter the same problems in future! Managed to half wire it then getting dark stopped play...

dac69er

Super Moderator
i really hate people who pull grommets out and stick wires/ pipes through. they are then against a sharp edge and cut through quite easily. plus there is a nice easy place for water to get in.

i use either the centre large grommet behind the inlet mani or the one just behind where the standard airbox is. make a small slit then silicone it up afterwards. its pretty much water tight then

Sazzy

Member +
I generally thought that if you put a smaller hole in the grommet than what you were pulling through it would remain water tight to a certain degree... I just followed what the other guys said... and it worked... and when I have finished I will silicone it anyway... you don't give people much chance do ya! I only removed it so that I could see what was behind it... I think I didn't explain myself well enough...

Sazzy

Member +
Went through this grommet here, but did have to take it out so that I knew I wasn't damagine the pipe going through it first and just to make it easier.
DSC00113.jpg

Bigger pic of engine bay
DSC00114.jpg

where the cable comes out to get to this you need to take the drivers side of the dash off, it's about 6 screws and a bit of a tug on the old dash gently so that you don't snap anything, you may have to moved the stalky bit that adjusts the steering wheel.
DSC00115.jpg

That's all for now, I forgot to take more pictures. My bad will show more soon.

this is a wider pic of where the cable comes out :)

DSC00118.jpg

monka

Member +
lovely,

although its a bit of a weird route across the engine for the power wire, i would have gone straight back from the battery, and behind the inlet mani

Sazzy

Member +
well it's not actually plumbed into the battery at that stage it was just a pic to show where the wire is going through... :) as connecting it to the battery was indeed the last thing we did

Yes badgers Sazzy :)