idle control valve question

4efte_ryan

Member +
hey guys if i unplugged the idle control valve whilst the car is running would the revs change at all?? because im having problems with my idle and trying to source the problem oh and the icv is ticking whem i start the car but then the ticking comes and goes possibly faulty valve??

help would be very apreciated

cheers ryan

stedee

Member +
yep a piece of shit arent they, i think 50% of gt owners have the same problem, i certainly have but i think they are over £ 100 for a new one.

thechomper

Member +
things to look at when the idle is high ,

try adjust the screw on top of the throttle body,it's under a rubber grommet,this can effect the idle ,by increasing it or decreasing it,supposed to be best for the car to be in diagnostic mode

also check for earths ,a bad earth can lead to idle problem

clean idle control valve,it is normal for it to make a tapping noise

also check for any vacum leaks ,or split pipes

also clean the cold start valve ,it is attached underneath the throttle body,has five pipes coming of it ,this has a small thermostat in it ,that can effect the idle.so also give this a good clean,you will need some kind of gasket sealer,to put it back on the throttle body

,could also be throttle postion sensor,is not aligned properly

hope that helps ye mate in finding your problem

chinaone

Member +
things to look at when the idle is high ,

try adjust the screw on top of the throttle body,it's under a rubber grommet,this can effect the idle ,by increasing it or decreasing it,supposed to be best for the car to be in diagnostic mode

also check for earths ,a bad earth can lead to idle problem

clean idle control valve,it is normal for it to make a tapping noise

also check for any vacum leaks ,or split pipes

also clean the cold start valve ,it is attached underneath the throttle body,has five pipes coming of it ,this has a small thermostat in it ,that can effect the idle.so also give this a good clean,you will need some kind of gasket sealer,to put it back on the throttle body

,could also be throttle postion sensor,is not aligned properly

hope that helps ye mate in finding your problem

How do u align the TPS?

Gilly2006

Member +
my glanza has the same problem, sometimes it will idle at 1200, then 1500, and then tonight it died down to 850, rly weird!