idle control valve

4efte_ryan

Member +
if i disconnect the idle control valve while the car is running should the idle change or stay the same, because been having idle problems and trying to source the problem

cheers ryan

chinaone

Member +
i am having the same problem, do you mean the TPS? at the end of the intake?
i try dissconnect it already, nothing changes but the tapping noise goes away.
let us know if you found out anything.

stedee

Member +
the tps is at the back of the plenum( inlet )behind the throttle spindle, the grey thingy on the end is the idle control, you can try cleaning it but its a common fault, ive got a shitty idle too, i clean it and it works for a few days the packs up.

ragz

Member +
yeah id love to know how to sort this idle issue out its really getting on my nerves

mates car idles at 1200 lowest sometimes reaches 1600

nexia201

Member +
yeah id love to know how to sort this idle issue out its really getting on my nerves

mates car idles at 1200 lowest sometimes reaches 1600

run your engine on an aftermarket ems, mine starts up at 1,100 rpm then settles down to 1,000rpm. The idle control valve is on the intake but is not connected (just plugging the hole :) )

profane

Member +
the prerequisite to all idle adj/problems is to first set the TPS sensor for its idle contact. there are 3 wires to it:

top - hi rev enrichment
middle - common
bottom - idle contact

connect multimeter to middle (common) and bottom (idle contact) and set to continuity range.

put 20 thou filler gauge between the throttle key and the throttle key stop screw.

loosen the 2 screws to the TPS sensor and adjust it like you would adjust a distributor when setting timing.

come to a point, the multi meter will beep where the middle and bottom contacts would meet. lock the TPS by its screws to that exact place.

Now, you should see what ur idle is. for cold 1000-1100 should be normal for autos this could even be 1200rpm.

should always avoid adjusting the butterfly screw or the throttle key stop screw.

Aidan-G

Member +
how about the four pin tps sensors?:confused:i was looking at a glanza(was an auto)and it was a four pin tps!and i dont know how to do it!

profane

Member +
iv never worked on glanzas but even the 4 pin one should 2 contacts for idle at least. u could use those 2 and the above procedure to set it up. should not be a problem.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
run your engine on an aftermarket ems, mine starts up at 1,100 rpm then settles down to 1,000rpm. The idle control valve is on the intake but is not connected (just plugging the hole :) )

you saying to buy a standalone managment system just to remove the shitty idle??:p