ignition error 14

rage

Lifer
hi guys,

i've replaced my old 2e-e engine with a 4efte engine last weekend but something is bugging the car.

first start was good, but she didn;t boost and died on me.
woulden't restart but started again after fideling a while with the plugs and wires.

last night it ran great, boosted ok and had no problems. this morning she ran ok too. this afternoon she just woulden't start. gives the ignition error 14 again and the plugs just don't fire.

any idea what might be the cause? cuz the trouble comes and goes and is rly anoying.

help is greatly apreciated

fergalb

Member +
coil or distributor maybe? i had a similar problem and turned out to be my distributor was shot... maybe someone else can offer you a more specific answer

Texx

Super Moderator
Code 14 means the ECU isn't getting a ignition feedback signal from the igniter to say the coil has fired. Could be poor connection somewhere or an intermittent fault with the ignition coil or igniter. Do you know what year car the engine and ECU came from? Does the ECU have 2 plugs or 3?

D3N0

Member +
Mate, i had this problem last week with my glanza. i replaced the coil pack and all is fine now. if you've got £100 floating about then buy one from toyota, other than that buy one second hand. just make sure you check the part number on them, breakers may try to sell you a normal starlet coil, but parn number is not the same. however, both GT's and Glanzas share the same coil pack part number.

rage

Lifer
found out that it's the connector on the ignition pack that had a faulty contact. fixed it and works fin now, let's hope it will keep working fine :)

thx for the replies!

dac69er

Super Moderator
Mate, i had this problem last week with my glanza. i replaced the coil pack and all is fine now. if you've got £100 floating about then buy one from toyota, other than that buy one second hand. just make sure you check the part number on them, breakers may try to sell you a normal starlet coil, but parn number is not the same. however, both GT's and Glanzas share the same coil pack part number.

there are two different coils, clip and boot type.
there are also, at least 2 different types of ignitor. the plugs are slightly different. may also have a different number of pins, cant remember.