Ignition lead

mrpeal55

Member +
Hi All,

Had a problem the other day where my ep82 cut out and wouldn't start again. I opened the bonnet and the plug lead for number 2 cylinder was half way out so I thought this was the problem. I pushed it firmly back in and it wouldn't start. There was a very weak spark at the king lead suggesting coil pack and ignitior. replaced with a spare and it fired up straight away and felt a lot more responsive. what would cause the plug lead to come out? the plug was still in tight. also noticed that sometimes when I clutch it to slow down the revs drop to 400rpm and nearly stalls. Cap is ok, plugs are ok and the leads are ok.

Cheers in advance

Rev

Member +
I have had plug lead rubber come up when pushing boost harder even though the plug was tight enough for general driving.
A knock event or similar that makes high cylinder pressure may push past a plug that was not correctly tight but yours were tight so
something 1 in a million but straight forward as -
> The plug lead that slides inside the plug rubber cap being too long acted like a spring which pushed out the plug rubber, then over time the loose plug rubber shakes the lead clip off the spark plug.

Last edited:

mrpeal55

Member +
Thanks for the response mate. That's what I was thinking but I've never had it happen before. I guess them stupid power flex engine mounts won't help then?

Rev

Member +
Once the problem presents itself I think you might be right . A big bump and the engine goes up and down quickly pulled down by the power flex but the cable is loose so is probably still going up when the power flex pulls the engine down.