IHI turbo on my 4efte

bimboy

Member +
HI guys fairly new to the forum, been doing some research but can't find an exact answer. Bought a brand new IHI turbo for my car, it looks similar to the one on the mazda gtx it is a IHI VICC RHF5 , i have read on the forum that the gtx turbo bolts straight on to the standard mani. Do you guys think this one will bolt straight up as well, also what kind of hp and how much bar can i expect from this unit.

jabran200

Member +
Yes the bolt on straight but i don't know if it will mate up with your downpipe but as far as bolting upto the manifold it will. You will have to consider oil and water lines too.

bimboy

Member +
thumb_IHI_RHF5_VICT_4.jpg

Heres a link to a very similar turbo only differnce is probally the AR.
I found an old ct9 and matched up the bottom flange it will bolt right on but the down pipe flange is different.

How do these IHI's work are these good mods.

thanx for the replies

Last edited:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
that ihi will be a good addition to the 4e.. its a good thing u got an rhf5 series turbo as the older ones (the old ihi which line up with the ct9 flange pattern) used to give boost problems, but the turbo u have is pretty good.. ull need to change the piping to the intercooler..

as far as i remember this turbo had the same specs as a 0.43ar t25 :)
kon

hardcoreep

Member +
that ihi will be a good addition to the 4e.. its a good thing u got an rhf5 series turbo as the older ones (the old ihi which line up with the ct9 flange pattern) used to give boost problems, but the turbo u have is pretty good.. ull need to change the piping to the intercooler..

as far as i remember this turbo had the same specs as a 0.43ar t25 :)
kon
I have know no engine which has withstood this unit. It has some surge problems that show up on the 4E.

bimboy

Member +
I have know no engine which has withstood this unit. It has some surge problems that show up on the 4E.

I have heard this before on wheelsjamaica's forum but i also heard that this was not true of the newer units just like HYBRID said. Could you guys please shed somemore light on this issue as i would not like to blow my engine. Also can somebody explain why it only seems to occur on 4eftes and not on subaru and mazda engines.

No more replies no more help?? No more opinons?

from your name i assume u from barbados
but anyway......like hardcore told u and from my readings on other old sites.......seems like this turbo does have some issues when put on the 4e.......maybe u might be lucky and avoid those boost/spike/creep issues

i recall someone useing it a while back...maybe on a swift...with some success

it was the craze a LONG time ago,,,(just like the tdo4 is now),,,but people shortly went the way of the t25 and t28,,,...then came the gt series and tdo4 series........and that's where we are at presently

and on the mazda gtx,,,,,,dont these units come stock at 7psi (i could be wrong,,,going on memory here---lol)

bimboy

Member +
Yes i am from barbados. This is not supposed to be the same unit as the one that came on the gtx, the gtx turbos were RBH4, or something along that line mine is a RHF5, it looks around the same size but on the ihi offical site it said it was a newer model, could you give me an idea of what the power out put was like with these turbos at around 1 bar. I really hope i have no spiking surge issues, I will be using a mega squirt and using its boost control option to help protect against that.

man u guys really asking me to do some serious memoery digging now.....and i'm getting kind of old...so memory may not be the best...lol

anyway....i think it was good for around 200bhp (flywheel) give or take

wil try to see if i can find my old files and update if i do

Johnny_C

Lifer
man u guys really asking me to do some serious memoery digging now.....and i'm getting kind of old...so memory may not be the best...lol

anyway....i think it was good for around 200bhp (flywheel) give or take

wil try to see if i can find my old files and update if i do
i mean the new ball bearing type.
and if it similer in size to a t25,its surely to be more than 200bhp at the fly runnin a bar.
anyone know what full boost hit at?

1300wipass

Member +
thats going to be quite laggy, you got forged internals??

do u reckon?... I have spoken to quite a few Scuby owners and most of them who did the upgrade from td04l to the 35 managed to get the same boost response as to where the td04l started spooling with ecu flash.. i dont have forged coz i only plan on runnin about .7-.8 with this turbo for the time being till my pockets tell me to go forge .... ill keep u posted on the results ... i have a standalone FMS aswell, so this should aid in the lag abit as apparently u have to over fuel it abit at the point where the TD04l usually comes on boost. Most guys told me that this is usually how they got the 35 to start boosting exactly where Td04 came in... ofcourse most claim that at .5 bar it felt exactly the same as the td04 at .9 - 1bar ... so im hoping for the best