info on how a clutch type lsd wroks

Chris@CCM

Member +
well just though i would add this as its good info for guys not 100% how they work and what they do . i took this off a diffrent site but its v good info
worth noteing the diff setup in the pixs is on a f/r car but the diff it self still works the seam just the pinion is in a diffrent place
........................................................................................................
The Normal Differential

As we well know, a race car driver wins races from shaving lap times by cornering faster. Because of this many teams and constructors try to make cars that maintain higher cornering speeds.

On every car a basic differential is fitted to to distribute the engine's power to the driving wheels. The basic differential gear (d1 below) supplies the power to wheels which is/are loaded with least resistance. This allows the cars wheels to run at different speeds in a turn with least resistance.

However, when a car is cornering close to it's limit, the car will exhibit roll, a leaning to one side, causing the inside tires to lose forward traction and lateral grip. The wheels lift and cause excessive spin because of lack of downward force or weight distribution. This wheel spin is useless for acceleration until the tires regain traction and start to translate the power to the ground.

An LSD is used to alleviate this wheelspin.
kaaz1ev6.jpg

Basic Differential Gear system (d1)
........................................................................................................

The Limited Slip Differential Gear

An LSD is constructed similarly to the normal differential. (d2 below)
kaaz2qd5.jpg

(A limited slip differential gear figure d2)

As you can see, the pressure plate rings have the side gear, pinion, and the pinion gear locked inside, and behind each pressure rings are a number of clutch plates. When torque is applied to the differential, the differential case will spin and throw the pinion into the pressure ring cam. The pressure ring is then pushed out against the clutch plates thereby squeezing them together. This in turn causes the wheels to gradually lock together, depending on the power applied. This effect limits the wheel spin during hard cornering and applies power to the wheels evenly when more power is applied to the wheels. On acceleration and deceleration, it provides even grip and on neutral power, it frees up for less drag and easier turning.
1-Way, 2-Way, 1.5-Way.......... What Does It Mean?

Some manufacturers make LSD's in different configurations and are commonly classified as 1 way, 2way, and 1.5 way. This designation reflects the design of the cam groove which enables the LSD to function differently under different loads. A 1 way differential means that the cam is shaped in such way as to have positive lock only when accelerating. The 2 way is constructed in a way to have positive lock motion in either acceleration or deceleration. The 1.5 way is a new term used to describe the 2 way cam which enables different lock up rates during the two directional forces. The 1.5 distribute positive lock stronger under acceleration than when decelerating. The 1.5 way can provide more forgiving balance when braking than a full 2 way setup, although it is less effective for true racing applications, it provides easier operation for beginners in throttle off conditions. It is also effective for front drive cars which need extra stability during braking
kaaz4rh9.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisW

Lifer
Great thread that Chris, rep added.

Im still confused though about the types, as in helical, mechanical and clutch? Any ideas?

Chris@CCM

Member +
cheers mate i can post info up on the other types off lsd too ill give that a go later so dam board lol mechanical is a tearm that gets over used as a clutch lsd and helical lsd are both mechanical in my book

Last edited:

ChrisW

Lifer
Ok yea that would be cool :).

Im looking into one of these Kaaz units thats all, wondered how good they were? You ever experienced one? Its a clutch type apparently but again not sure how good these are???

Chris@CCM

Member +
Ok yea that would be cool :).

Im looking into one of these Kaaz units thats all, wondered how good they were? You ever experienced one? Its a clutch type apparently but again not sure how good these are???
kaaz are one of the best lsds u can get if i was puting a diff in my car i would only be useing a clutch type like kaaz or cusco tho this is only what i think i dont want to upset ppl saying that

Last edited: