Information on kart competition racing

parkiboy

Member +
Right well ive tried giving up cars as excessive use of my starlet led to huge fuel costs :p Realised i cant do it i enjoyed it to much so i have decided to either build a road legal track car and having a cheap runabout or i am considering gettin my thrills from starting karting...

just wondered if anyone had any information about karting? as im struggling to find any.

Just wondered how you get into it, different classes, cost implications etc...

i know roughly costs of a decent competition go kart but i hear you need a racing licence and the hobby can work out very expensive, just want to add things up.

any help apreciated cheers

dan

Member +
pm nick @ tuning developments him and mikeSt205 (his bro) use to kart they'll be able shed abit of light on the matter.

munday

Member +
It will cost ya! Its certainly an expensive hobby. Set of tyres per session, maybe even a fresh set for the race after practice and warm up :homer:

drew

Member +
I agree,

i know someone who used to do karting, and was very good at it but the costs of running, parts, competitions etc he just couldnt keep it up. It's very expensive apparantly, the best bet is to get a sponser but that will make it a full time thing.....

jf84

Member +
I dont do karting but i ride motocross for a hobby.

Been riding it for about 19 months now, loved every miniute of it.

The cost of it is mega, and thats for offroad.

Tarmac sports i wouldnt even like to no the cost of tyres etc. :(

I (well my father as im only 16) Has spent around about 17k in the last 19 months i been doin it lol

But now im hooked and wouldnt give it up for the world. When your init you really are in it, esp if you race and compete.

As for the lience yeah diffrent clubs use diffrent liences, i ride with acu and i think they cover most motorsports.

My riding fee is £25 before i even get there, then youve got petrol for the bike spares etc etc, karting might be a little bit more im not sure.

But im sure karting will be lots of fun depending on the bank balance :p

jf84

Member +
I agree,

i know someone who used to do karting, and was very good at it but the costs of running, parts, competitions etc he just couldnt keep it up. It's very expensive apparantly, the best bet is to get a sponser but that will make it a full time thing.....

Just if gettin a sponcer was that easy:homer:

parkiboy

Member +
hmm from what i can see tyres arent overly expensive... i know its going to be expensive but is it goin to be more expensive than running a circa 300bhp track car with the insurance, petrol, tax, mot, track days etc...

just trying to weigh them both up and see what is the cheapest i know there both expensive hobbys but i gotta do 1 lol.

and 17k... foook me lol.

cole

Member +
buy a road legal quad ! best fun with ur pants on

dont get a shitty chineese 1 tho get a proper one

ask sham and akki theyve been on back of mine

il load a pic up in a min

and there cheap as owt to insure

Last edited:

Rory

Lifer
What kind of Kart are you after? Rotax or Shifter?

Karting is expensive, and i use it just for a hobby.
You will eat tyres, and chew petrol like its going out of fashion.

I run a shifter kart, eats tyres and uses 5litres in 20-25laps (laps are under 35secs)

I personally think a trackcar will be cheaper to do, why get insurance for the track?You will be doubling what you spend!

cole

Member +
DSC00005.jpg

cole

Member +
yer its mine lol the honda is my bros i havent had it long

its got race pipes on it and v force reed valves
it flys just maxes out too quick tho at the min need to get all the wide axel and stuff for mine like my bros got and have it geared longer ;):rockon:

jf84

Member +
very nice have u seen the ktm quads they look sick

Yeah i have :p

Look pretty mad, the 525 bike is mad enough ;)

Id like to have a go on your quad tho lol

2 stroke on road tho, done a piston change yet? I have to change piston and rings in mine every 6 hours :homer:

cole

Member +
nar man not changed rings yet dont need it so often its cool having a 2 stroke coz evri 1 in bradford has raptor 700's there used to hearing big loud 4strokes then i come on the loud 2 stroke lol just sumat diffrent :)

parkiboy

Member +
What kind of Kart are you after? Rotax or Shifter?

Karting is expensive, and i use it just for a hobby.
You will eat tyres, and chew petrol like its going out of fashion.

I run a shifter kart, eats tyres and uses 5litres in 20-25laps (laps are under 35secs)

I personally think a trackcar will be cheaper to do, why get insurance for the track?You will be doubling what you spend!

i'd need insurance on the track car to get it to the track. I dont want to buy a big gas guzzling car to be able to tow a car to the track and dont really have anywhere to keep a trailor so no other way to do it :(

sounds like kartings going to be expensive so it looks like its a track car but ill still look around, price it up and see :)

Nwimie

Member +
karts are so fun :] but the cost of racing them would be huge. track car is much better option imo. something cheap powerfull and fun

parkiboy

Member +
well i have a budget of about 6k to start me off sounds like karts are cheaper to start with but they have alot more cost implications in racing them rather than a track car am i correct?