insurance for a 17 year old!!!!!

essex-ep

Member +
hi people
my brothers 17 this month and hes gonna be driving a citroen saxo 1.4, i cant find him insurance under £3500 which is a joke. Anyone point me in the rite direction please
ben :)

Derek

Lifer
At 17 its going to be expensive anywhere man imo. Smaller engine would be my advice starting off.

pig666eon

Member +
DSCF5910.jpg

ha sorry not helpful at all:)

Try doin insurance with him as the main driver then addin ur mum or dad as aditional driver insurance ternds to be cheeper with 2 ppl on it.

jam35

Member +
have you tried bell insurance my mate bought a 206gti(stupid idea i know) and no one would insure him then bell quoted him £600fc give them a try:)

zee20

Member +
the only way i think you will get away with getting it cheap if you go with bell and insure it, bare in mind the area you live in and the quote they give you is the price you have to pay there and then, monthly installments will be much more than the original quote. I'm with adrian flux and its SKY HIGH for me aged at 22.

durmz

Member +
engines too big, and its a saxo, insurance is high on them because chavs drive them...like twats usually.

my first car was a 1.2 fiesta zetec, insurance was 2200

my brothers 17 and he,s lookin at a gt for his first car, i think he dreamin to be honest lol, anybody 17 on here insured on a gt for a first car and how much??

Fatman

Member +
hehehe, my first car was about 80 quid for the year for comprehensive cover, agreed value for $4k and I was 16. You guys have it bad.

Pete EP82

Member +
Guys can anyone have two separate insurance policies at the one time with two different companies? And be the policy holder in both policies?

rage

Lifer
i'm paying 15 euro's a month for insurance :p
ok... aged 27, 5 years and still going without a claim helps too

Monkfish

Member +
engines too big, and its a saxo, insurance is high on them because chavs drive them...like twats usually.
Quoted for truth.

Stick to 1.0l cars if he's going to be getting a hatchback. There are many many factors taken into account when working out insurance policies. The age, sex, experience and living location of the driver, plus the engine size, insurance group and historical data on the particular car type and model. And which way the wind is blowing and whether your cat shat in your breadbin or on the cooker this morning.

As an example, a Clio Sport 172 would cost me in excess of £700 to insure fully comp (I'm 27 with 6yrs NCD, 9 yrs experience, zero claims and 3 points) simply because the majority of owners go "YAY! I HAZ CLIO SPORTZ!" and proceed to drive like a complete wanker and wrap the fucker around a tree. My old 180bhp GT cost me £550 to insure fully comp with all mods declared. It is far faster than a 172 and more likely to kill me if I run out of talent, but the insurance premiums are lower mostly because they're not crashed all that often compared to the Clio.

Stick with a shitty old 1.0l hatchback or, if he's after something that should be cheaper to insure, go for something old and lardy that isn't popular with young drivers or crashed that often. An old Volvo 850 would be a good example (they're also built like tanks).

Get some quotes for the car of choice from Money Supermarket or Confused, but don't take them as gospel (they make a lot of assumptions). Then phone about. Then phone some more. Then, once he's finished doing that, do some more phoning. Play companies off against each other, get them to price match/beat and eventually he'll find a company that'll give him a decent quote that won't leave his arse a gaping great bleeding hole.

Let us know how he gets on. :)

Last edited:
when i was 17 it was a bastard so i know his position, dirct line was the best for me, they were the lowest by far, but that was 1400 on a mk3 fiesta 1.1, its gunna be a shit where every you go, and as said before its because chavs drive the saxo's so it will be considerable higher.
well iam still payin throu the teeth for my gt bloody 2700 fully comp its ridiculus lol

toyotagt

Member +
my brothers 17 and he,s lookin at a gt for his first car, i think he dreamin to be honest lol, anybody 17 on here insured on a gt for a first car and how much??

im 17. insured the GT as GT turbo properly..
mother was main driver, me named.. first insurance policy,,
cost 1917 euro.. then i trasferred to a jeep fopr about a week and when i went back to the GT a got refuded 208 euro.. so only cost me 1700 now:)
still isured as turbo:p