Intake Chamber for better response?

heikobe

Fresh Recruit
attachment.php

The intake chamber claims to be providing better throttle response on NA.

So how about on turbo?

I am thinking it could be install in between of the air filter and turbo.

What would you reckon?

Cheers
Jerry

dac69er

Super Moderator
n/a and turbo are 2 very different beasts. something that woks on an n/a may not work on a turbo and visa versa.

I would say something like that would not be any use on a turbo.

STARLET N/A

Member +
for a turbo its about compressed air on the intake side, so you want to keep the area the before the intake small as possible without being restricting.

shoterning the intercooler piping might help.

heikobe

Fresh Recruit
Ya i also reckon that it should not install after the turbo.
But what about before Turbo?

i am thinking whether it can act like air box to provide good acceleration?

cheers
Jerry

AdamB

Member +
Highly doubt it will work, will just be more restriction. And besides N/A and turbo tuning are worlds apart. If you want better response on a turbo motor, go to a smaller turbo, simple.

heikobe

Fresh Recruit
Highly doubt it will work, will just be more restriction. And besides N/A and turbo tuning are worlds apart. If you want better response on a turbo motor, go to a smaller turbo, simple.

Oh I thought it just like reserve some air for aceleration..

its no doubt that smaller turbo give better response, but I am curious that with the same turbo, let say td04, will this little thing make some difference?

dac69er

Super Moderator
wont work on a turbo motor. probably wont notice any real difference on an n/a motor either.

mudi

Member +
its my understanding that that chamber stores extra air so that when you jump on the gas there is no lag becuase the extra air is already in the chamber.

dac69er

Super Moderator
air will be there, but it wont be compressed so you will still get lag as the turbo will still need to pressurise the system. it will create more lag as its a larger space to fill.

it is of no use on a turbo engine.

heikobe

Fresh Recruit
So it generates lag no matter where it's mounted?
I thought it can store air between turbo and filter.
For sure if it's mounted before the throttle body, it just makes pressure down.

STARLET N/A

Member +
^^ but what your saying already exists. its called a airbox and a lot of turbo cars have them.

i can show you my setup if you like. see what you think. PM me.

dac69er

Super Moderator
resonance boxes aren't a new thing:

Tube-vi.jpg

you can put it before the turbo, wont make any difference.

it has no advantage on a turbo car.

AdamB

Member +
resonance boxes aren't a new thing:

Tube-vi.jpg

you can put it before the turbo, wont make any difference.

it has no advantage on a turbo car.

And that's why they all get removed for a more high flowing filter as they are just restrictive :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
depends what you want from the engine. free flowing gives better overall horsepower, but you can gain torque and throttle response by fitting baffles, resonant boxes etc.

again, this mostly applies to n/a tuning. turbo tuning is less susceptible to these types of changes, but you can still alter the characteristics with intake mods.

Rev

Member +
x2 and I guess if your turbo spools early enough, response wont be such an issue but I read you can get a whopping 15%-20% increase in mean effective pressure by just making the pipe a length that encourages a third harmonic based on the speed of sound and engine rpm.
With N/A the box attaches to the inlet intake directly but with a turbo effects as you said would be before the turbo unless you have an acis intake
Before the turbo available volume, inlet size and harmonics still apply but velocity is also key.