Intercooler

Guys,

Recently got a TMIC and noticed that the IC Adapter was a little bent.. didnt think to much off it at the time - Secured all the pipes then was loosing boost pressure, so took it off and had a look..

It seems while clamping the hoses on, ive made it a little worse...

What im trying to work out is, what home tools do you think i could use to "Reshape" the adapter bit? and if possible, how can i make it stonger?

Pictures speak a thousand words!!

img0553.jpg

Mike_ep91

Member +
if i was to try and fix that personally id use a vice grips/pliers and try and take the big inwards kink out of it.
basically clamp onto the edge with the grips easily to reshape it.

as for bracing it im not really sure.dont want something fallin of and going into the turbo.

Last edited:

Mike_ep91

Member +
if you could get some aluminium and wrap it around the adapter and drill some holes and bolt it to the adapter and fill the gap between with sealant

or get a new adapter welded on.

heres what im tryin to say..:haha:
ic.jpg

excuse the crappy pic

Last edited:

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
I'd suggest the same as mike either a pipe on the inside of it or outside riveted on. preferably steel and on the inside if you can find a size that matches

CMR

Member +
I nearly had that problem Ollie but I stopped tightening just in time to stop it bending too much, sorry dude should of warned you :(

ooo those toolmaker clamps look good, might have to have a look..

The clamps were quite weak considering the stregnth of the alloy..

Dont want to get it welded as its not that stong and could burn a whole through it :(

Will look at the stregnthining tips, its a tricky one tbh!

dac69er

Super Moderator
must be a shit bit of metal to bend like that. i have 2mm thick walled alloy ic pipe and ive dont the connections up tight as fook and not had any problems with bending.

if i was you i would straighten it out the best you can, then hammer in a stainless steel sleeve, this would hold it in shape for you and stop you having any sealing proplems.

best bet would be to weld a new bit of pipe on. i good welder will be able to do it for you no problem

dac69er

Super Moderator
Its a RX7 TMIC btw.. Good idea indrees, how would i make a stainless steel sleve tho?

idrees? how very dare you :mad:

you will need to find the inner diameter of that pipe and get someone to make a sleeve for you. its not a particularly hard job to do, but you need someone who has access to a lathe to do a good job.

if that alloy has been bent in and out a few times already its likely to crack when you try and bend it back. i would seriously try and find a company who does welding and just get a new pipe welded on. try radiator companies, alot dont like dealing with alloy, but may be able to point you in the right direction

oOps.. sorry about that, could have sworn I saw a yellow car in your avitar - maybe i was mistaken :p anyway - Thanks dac69er!!

Do you maybe know anyone on here that would be able to do it - im good for the cash!!??

I think I know someone that knows someone that would do welding, but im kida liking the "sleeve" approach - Just need a do find someone that could do it!!

Will be repping soon!!

Mike_ep91

Member +
oOps.. sorry about that, could have sworn I saw a yellow car in your avitar - maybe i was mistaken :p anyway - Thanks dac69er!!

Do you maybe know anyone on here that would be able to do it - im good for the cash!!??

I think I know someone that knows someone that would do welding, but im kida liking the "sleeve" approach - Just need a do find someone that could do it!!

Will be repping soon!!

measure the inner and outer diameters of the pipe once you have fixed it and made it roundish again:p
then go and see if you can get some steel piping that will match either the inner or outer diamteres.
should have you goin in no time.