internet problem

steo800

Member +
someone help before i feck this computer out the window

i cant get any website, apart from this one for some strange reason.

all kicked off yesterday, not allowing me onto anything.

yahoo homepage worked a few times, and another car forum worked a couple of times but thats all.

on the flip side, i was able to download 2 podcasts on my phone earlier but cant get and web pages or anymore podcasts.

so i dunno if its an isp problem(as dell network helper thingy said) or something else?

ive cleared all my history stuff and reset all settings back to manufacturer ones in IE.

google.ie just worked, but if i try another website in the address bar, it will bring it up on a google search page

i can also play a game online so thats why i dont think its the isp(eircom)

heres the message i get in ie-
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

help save this laptops life!!!

gv1.3

Admin
could be dns related Steo. At least you can use TGTT :)

Good place to start is this... (report back after you have tried it)

-Go to Start and select run and type CMD and press enter
-When the command prompt pops up type this exactly without the quotation marks "nslookup www.ireland.com" and press enter (remember WITHOUT the quotation marks)
-It will either resolve the request and come back with an IP or it will fail to resolve it.
-Come back and tell us what happened

If its DNS it will be simple enough to sort.... Ill tell you how if it doesnt resolve.

steo800

Member +
in IE , tools>internet options> advanced> reset

have also tried opening it without add ons and still getting the problem

steo800

Member +
msn ran some other crap and said dns failed aswell as something else, but heres the results to your one dylan -

dns request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds
*** cant find server name for address 192.168.1.254: timed out
***default servers are not available
server: unknown
address: 192.168.1.254

dns request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
dns request time out.
timeout was 2 seconds
***request to unknown timed-out

is it talking to itsself, scizho bastard repeating the same shit over and over....

gv1.3

Admin
May as well tell you how just in case I am not still online when you come back

If it does not resolve the website address when you do an nslookup do this

-go to control panel and go to your network connections right click which ever connection you are using and select properties
-When the properties box pops up scroll down to Internet protocol/TCP-IP click it once and select properties
-Tick the radio button that says "Use the following DNS server addresses
-Enter these addresses as primary and secondary makes no odds which one you put in first or second 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 select apply or okay and get back out to network connections
-Right click on the connection again and select repair
-When the connection repairs try the nslookup I mentioned above and see if it works now :) if it does you should be back in business

gv1.3

Admin
msn ran some other crap and said dns failed aswell as something else, but heres the results to your one dylan -

dns request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds
*** cant find server name for address 192.168.1.254: timed out
***default servers are not available
server: unknown
address: 192.168.1.254

dns request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
dns request time out.
timeout was 2 seconds
***request to unknown timed-out

is it talking to itsself, scizho bastard repeating the same shit over and over....

My post above should sort your problem out dude. Looks like you aint able to hit your DNS server. Some wireless routers handle DNS requests and sometimes they just stop working. Other times your computer will send the request direct to your ISP and sometimes your ISP can have DNS issues. What I have told you to do above directs your DNS requests out to high level public DNS servers and should work without issue.

Lol I'm just about to fu*k this computer out the window too. Did anyone get the 7 meg upgrade with eircom recently? Its down to the dns me thinks.

kieran.s gt

Member +
May as well tell you how just in case I am not still online when you come back

If it does not resolve the website address when you do an nslookup do this

-go to control panel and go to your network connections right click which ever connection you are using and select properties
-When the properties box pops up scroll down to Internet protocol/TCP-IP click it once and select properties
-Tick the radio button that says "Use the following DNS server addresses
-Enter these addresses as primary and secondary makes no odds which one you put in first or second 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 select apply or okay and get back out to network connections
-Right click on the connection again and select repair
-When the connection repairs try the nslookup I mentioned above and see if it works now :) if it does you should be back in business

dylan you legend mines sorted anyway rep added

steo800

Member +
im sorted, yaya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!rep on the way dylan, legend! would love to know more about these computer thingys, i would have never ever in the rest of my lifetime figured that there was 8 poxy little digits missing from 2 boxes.

havnt got any updates for ie recently, i tend to stay away from updates on pcs/laptops as they usually screw something else i like up. if its not broken, dont fix it is my motto for computers,

gv1.3

Admin
if it was the same for both of you and you are on eircom its nothing to do with your machines its good old eircom. Id leave it like that to be honest it will stop you being at the mercy of eircom next time they decide to trip over a wire and plug something out.

steo800

Member +
i had no problems last night with it, but then again, i had problems when i came on today about half an hour ago.

removed the thingy dylan said to put in and set it back to automatic and im all good again