Ireland - Motor tax with "new" used car.

Jaak

Member +
Hi all,

I bought a car from a dealer on Monday.
The car has no tax, but full NCT, and I am insured fully with no bullshit.

I don't have the certificate of registration. The dealer said he organise it as soon as possible.

After the sale, I only have a receipt from the dealer. Noting else.

Is there any way to tax the car for the time being, as I really need to the car to take me from point A to B?

I got pulled by the Gardai today, and I have 10 days to show all the documents, or they'll take me to court.
Even said they could take my car from me.

Any help will be appreciated.

jonny-boi32

Member +
if ur reg book is same as ours, did you not get the small new keeper slip?? u can use it to tax car up until 2months after purchase.

im in same boat bought car from dealer but had to do all change overs, but still waiting to get car thru mot so cant tax it till them, so dont want to SORN car jus to get log book. but am running out of time. thot i would have car back bout 5 weeks ago.

Jaak

Member +
if ur reg book is same as ours, did you not get the small new keeper slip?? u can use it to tax car up until 2months after purchase.

I never got that from the dealer. I can give him a call and see if he still has it.

Thanks.

jonny-boi32

Member +
I never got that from the dealer. I can give him a call and see if he still has it.

Thanks.

u should have got it, its the part you sign, and keep as proof u are owner till log book comes. he will only have to send of the 1st side of the log book, the section both you signed with all the cars details. but on the other side you should have gotten the 2nd or 3rd section to keep.

Car Mad

Fresh Recruit

Thanks.

You could try tax it online.Dont know much about it but i think they ask for a pin and from what i hear its usually a few didgets off the chassis number.Maybe someone that knows a bit more can fill you in

jonny-boi32

Member +
are the southern reg docs like this??

v5c.jpg

u should have got this part

v5_2.jpg

jonny-boi32

Member +
You could try tax it online.Dont know much about it but i think they ask for a pin and from what i hear its usually a few didgets off the chassis number.Maybe someone that knows a bit more can fill you in

you cant as you arent the registered keeper at this stage.

Jaak

Member +
are the southern reg docs like this??

No, it's not. But the same concept.
I understand what you talking about though.
Im going to call the dealer man tomorrow.

I tried doing the online tax but I can't do it, as jonny said above, im not the registered owner yet.
What a mission:mad:
Thanks for comments guys.

corofin12345

Member +
i hate 2 say it mate but your not supposed to drive the car till you get the change of ownership form back.. if you crash its still in the last owners name

jonny-boi32

Member +
No, it's not. But the same concept.
I understand what you talking about though.
Im going to call the dealer man tomorrow.

I tried doing the online tax but I can't do it, as jonny said above, im not the registered owner yet.
What a mission:mad:
Thanks for comments guys.

i know what you going thru, trying to get my car mot'd is a nightmare, one thing after another. only have few week left to do it or have to apply for SORN or get fined, then have to apply for tax. its all a nuisance!!

Jaak

Member +
i hate 2 say it mate but your not supposed to drive the car till you get the change of ownership form back.. if you crash its still in the last owners name

Now I know lol.
This sucks, wish there was a better, faster system in place for taxing and change of ownership matters.

corofin12345

Member +
Now I know lol.
This sucks, wish there was a better, faster system in place for taxing and change of ownership matters.

we are in ireland after all mate...lol... ring your man as soon as you can.. it may well be in your name now but waiting for the papers is a balls but at the end of the day all the gards are worried about is the tax... money hungry country this is...

gglavin

Member +
you just bought the car, so how can you tax it without documents? when you produce its only for insurance & license..nothing else

wesgt

Lifer
Hi all,

I bought a car from a dealer on Monday.
The car has no tax, but full NCT, and I am insured fully with no bullshit.

I don't have the certificate of registration. The dealer said he organise it as soon as possible.

After the sale, I only have a receipt from the dealer. Noting else.

Is there any way to tax the car for the time being, as I really need to the car to take me from point A to B?

I got pulled by the Gardai today, and I have 10 days to show all the documents, or they'll take me to court.
Even said they could take my car from me.

Any help will be appreciated.

get the tax book before its sent off, from the dealer, go to your local tax office, they will take the book from you, tax the car and send the book off for you.

you just bought the car, so how can you tax it without documents? when you produce its only for insurance & license..nothing else

nope, i was stopped by a c*nt of a guard the day i bought a car, was actually just driving it home, and i got the fine for no tax, he took my name from my licence

Brad_L

Member +
have you got an old tax disc?

When i bought a clio a few years ago i lost the green slip and i had to tax it. A friend told me they can scan the old tax disc and tax it as long as you've got insurance mot etc