Irish Insurance

gv1.3

Admin
Hi all,

my insurance is up soon so wondering where Irish members have gone to for cheap insurance?

Please dont give UK based companies as they dont cover cars in the Republic of Ireland.

So far my renewal quote from Quinn Direct was €690 comprehensive and €520 TPFT

I called Aaran insurance and they said they couldnt get anywhere close to that amount.

123.ie can do TPFT with noclaims protected for €486

I think ill go with 123.ie but thought I would ask on here and see if you guys know anywhere else I should check first?

RS-Ronan

Member +
all our family is insured with Quinn Direct and we find them to be the best!
for example,i recently got insured on my irish 1.3 98 Starlet.
the best quote i got was from Quinn at €3000 in comparison to hibernian and everyone else who's asking €5500 plus!!!

andy87

Member +
insurance

i went with Quinn again this year

they sent me out a renewal quote for 830 euro tpft

so i just went and put the exact same information quinn sent me out into there website and got a quote for 590 euro tpft

so saved 240 euro :rockon:

i tried 123.ie aswell and they were cheaper but on quinn's policy you can drive another vechicle as long as its insured handy for driving girlfriends car
or parents cars etc

iam 22 with 4 yrs ncb

Andy

gv1.3

Admin
I used to see stuff about the high excess but I read the policy document etc and there is no mention of it. I sent them a mail asking if there was any excess if not dont see any reason to stick with quinn.

EDIT: about driving other cars as mentioned above. I drive lots of other peoples cars when Im back in Ireland so thats certainly a requirement. In the 123.ie it says this is standard with their policy too.

Quinn Direct for me.

I can drive any car 3rd party cover that is not registered in my name. The car can be Northern or Southern registered and does not have to be insured.

Quinn Direct for me.

I can drive any car 3rd party cover that is not registered in my name. The car can be Northern or Southern registered and does not have to be insured.

ya that 3rd party extensions a gift:rockon:

i had my glanza in my mums name and was driving it on the 3rd party cover b4 i was 21 the best is the gardai dont know what your on abot when u mention 3rd party extension its priceless:haha:

i know people insured on 1.6 subarus 1.3 corollas and driving evos and stis just put the powerful car in someonelses name:rockon:

gv1.3

Admin
Quinn Direct for me.

what type of policy is that dude? I asked them on the phone yesterday and they said on their standard policy you can drive any car as long as it is insured and it is a privately owned car

what type of policy is that dude? I asked them on the phone yesterday and they said on their standard policy you can drive any car as long as it is insured and it is a privately owned car

i have it on just standard private motor policy!

i even rang and asked one day and all the car has to be is in roadworthy condition and you cant be the owner of the car

kieran.s gt

Member +
i have it on just standard private motor policy!

i even rang and asked one day and all the car has to be is in roadworthy condition and you cant be the owner of the car

the other car needs to be insured by someone else and needs to have nct and tax that's what i was told by quinn

2 years ago I phoned up to could I get a branch on my policy to drive my cousins peugeot 306 along with the Glanza.
Quinn said I am covered to drive any other car. I explained that it was not insured and she said it did not need be insured but she said it must be taxed and tested.
I didn't really believe her until I got reading my policy and it said I can drive anybody elses car with their permission. It mentioned nothing about the other car needing to be insured so I took major advantage of this:p

The traffic corps have proved that my policy was valid for driving un-insured cars not registered in my name. They checked it up regurally:p given that I was been pulled over in a 2.5 turbo skyline northern registered:rolleyes:

gv1.3

Admin
yes I would call up and check that again if I were you. When I was initially getting my policy a few years ago I asked what it entitled me to drive and they told me it entitled me to drive any privately owned car that is insured with a valid NCT.

I asked them yesterday if I dropped from a comprehensive policy to TPFT would it effect what I could drive and they told me nope I can drive any privately owned car that is insured and has a valid NCT.

Also on the point of putting a car into someones elses name and then driving it... thats fraud dude. And you cant tax the car without an insurance policy so you would be driving it illegally anyway.

Johnny_C

Lifer
im paying near a grand with quinn and im 23,think ill go with andys approach and enter my details into the website and see if i can get a few quid of it.:rockon:

gv1.3

Admin
im paying near a grand with quinn and im 23,think ill go with andys approach and enter my details into the website and see if i can get a few quid of it.:rockon:

I just did that and it came up 100 quid more expensive than when I called up yesterday... give them a shout.

Also on the point of putting a car into someones elses name and then driving it... thats fraud dude. And you cant tax the car without an insurance policy so you would be driving it illegally anyway.

No, nothing was fraud. It was my brothers Skyline. It's a 4door auto. It was taxed and tested but un-insured. I was just proving my point that I can drive any un-insured car that is not registered in my name.

yes I would call up and check that again if I were you. When I was initially getting my policy a few years ago I asked what it entitled me to drive and they told me it entitled me to drive any privately owned car that is insured with a valid NCT.

I asked them yesterday if I dropped from a comprehensive policy to TPFT would it effect what I could drive and they told me nope I can drive any privately owned car that is insured and has a valid NCT.

they let my mum tax it:p and i got stopped by traffic corps the lot and no one could do anything:haha:

and it definitely doesnt need to be insured just roadworthy with tax and nct

gv1.3

Admin
No, nothing was fraud. It was my brothers Skyline. It's a 4door auto. It was taxed and tested but un-insured. I was just proving my point that I can drive any un-insured car that is not registered in my name.
I never said what you did was fraud I said buying a car and putting it in someone elses name so you can drive it is fraud. You didnt say you did that someone else did.

they let my mum tax it:p and i got stopped by traffic corps the lot and no one could do anything:haha:

and it definitely doesnt need to be insured just roadworthy with tax and nct
Well 2 different people in Quinn direct have told me it needs to be insured and on the 123.ie site the policy says I can drive anything once it is insured.

Your mother shouldnt have been able to tax the car without insurance as you have to produce it or put the policy number in online to get your tax disc.

As for no one being able to do anything about it... I would rather pay and have legal insurance than buy a car put it in someone elses name and try exploit parts of an insurance policy at the risk of being involved in an accident and finding out the insurance company walks away from me.

I believe if you cant afford to insure a car properly you cant afford the car, simple.