Is it legal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee

Member +
To wind you clock back to zero if the chassis milage is noted?

I wanted to wind my clocks back so it actually showed the milage of the new block.

What are the implications of doing this?

AzE_B

Member +
its not illegal the mileage is there to say how many the cars done not just the engine you got things like wheel bearings, suspension bushs, etc

Monkfish

Member +
I'm not sure if it's illegal, but you are going to have an issue proving...

a) The Chassis mileage,
b) that you're not lying and haven't wound it back to -10,000
c) selling it.

Best bet would be to keep any receipts you may have and ideally, have the current mileage put on them (Not hand written) as further proof that the work was carried out at X amount of miles. If you can't get a mileage put onto the receipt, mass spending on engine parts on or around the same date is good enough evidence.

Kelly

Member +
i'm pretty sure its not allowed, i remember bringing up the same arguement with somebody years ago.

like said above its the mileage of the car not just the engine.

Greg0r

Member +
im pretty sure its illegal, id be careful because the mileage noted on your previous MOT certs, gets logged on the DVLA systems. So they might come asking questions.

benGT

Member +
additionally, i've been told in the past that winding clocks back has a tendancy to break them! i.e. they dont tend to work well afterwards.....

starbogt

Member +
So what about when your original clocks fail and need to be replaced with a new set how can anyone do you for that? I don't condone clocking which is what you are asking but if you aren't doing it for personal gain then can't see why its illegal.

Timmy

Member +
it is illeagle to alter the milage. And will de-value your car because everyone will know it's been clocked when it only reads 2000 miles or something on a 10+ year old car. Not to mention that the clock doesn't work properly once it has been tampered with.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
it is illeagle to alter the milage. And will de-value your car because everyone will know it's been clocked when it only reads 2000 miles or something on a 10+ year old car. Not to mention that the clock doesn't work properly once it has been tampered with.

Its not once the buyer knows;)

Gee

Member +
No intention of selling, but if it can fuck the clocks up I aint gonna risk it anyway. Cheers lads.

LOCKED HEE HEE :D

Status
Not open for further replies.