Is it rings or valve stem seals ?

Alright, yet another problem has presented itsself with my starlet

Im going to do a compression test tomorow but would just like an idea of your own experiences with it and if anyone knows what sort of price i would be looking at paying because i just cant be arsed doing it myself.

Symptoms:

Smoke, white in colour
Oil spraying from exhaust
Steam/smoke from the open hole on the catch can

Feels like its fuel cutting but its not fuel cut, maybe oil in the cylinders ?

How much roughly would i be looking at if it is one of these problems ?

Cheers for any help, chris :)

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
do a compression test. white smoke is water.

oil could be coming from the turbo seals also......

Ive been reading all your other threads and you have had the engine in bits so I would say to be safe a full rebuild......1000 quid upwards to be done correctly.

:)

AdamB

Member +
Be cheaper to buy a new engine mate, but problem is you could end up with the same problem a week later unless you know the condition of the engine. Theres probably not much difference in rebuilding a stock motor and a forged motor in price.

Its neithe had the car up at hypertech and a few tests fone....turns out its left and right crank oil seals cam oil seal dizzee oil seal getting the timeing belt and waterpump redone also and a few other bits that nee tidying

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Those symptoms wouldn't be a result of those seals leaking. I fear your going to be spending money on things that won't cure the problem.

Im with Terry on this.

Most of those seals wouldnt have been disturbed to now cause them to be leaking. There was no issues with them when i fitted your Turbo Kit and you have no leaks at all.

At the most your Dizzy Oil seal either needs replaced or some sealent put round the distributor to cure it.

Last edited:
Nah iain it was y fault mate i ran the carchcan lines with no breather an the crank pressure had nowhere to go and its poped the seals mate so im changing them to be sure its leaking quite a bit of oil now mate it wasnt the turbo it was me being an idiot and not thinking things theough haha gonny cost a pretty penny i imagine

A proper leak test etc was carried out an all cyls are holding 150psi so cant be rings it must be the seals as every now and then little drops of smoke making its way into the exhaust and puffing out the back

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
it must be the seals as every now and then little drops of smoke making its way into the exhaust and puffing out the back

The only way smoke from burnt oil could make its way out of the exhaust tailpipe is from leaking valve stem oil seals, an open PCV valve (assuming it's connected to the inlet manifold), worn piston rings, worn cylinder bores, damaged pistons, leaking head gasket or leaking turbo oil seals. None of which would be caused by excessive crankcase pressure or leaking crank, cam or distributor oil seals.

If you definitely have smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe either your turbo needs a rebuild or something is wrong inside the engine.

Out of interest, you have changed the oil and filter since replacing the headgasket?

yes mate oil and filter has been changed, a compression test was done with the airline and after him finding out the story from me he quickly pieced it all together i had to be towed home due to this mishap when i first didnt vent the crank pressure there are external oil leeks leaking onto the gearbox all over timeing belt and oil filter area

if its NOT what he says it is after its fixed i will say well u told me it was that and i have paid you to fix it and its not fixed you have jst told me this for nothing, but im really confident in the guy i always speak to when i go up there he seems to really know what he is doing and helped me out over the phone a few times