Is this easy to weld?

lingl9z

Member +
Basicly noticed exhaust sounded a bit funny and then noticed water dripping down from behind the can, finaly got under the car (in my suit grr) to have a look and found a dirty crack round where the pipe connects to the box, see pic below.

SNC00220.jpg

Thanks Guys

Yeah that looks the same as my exhaust did, took it down to Johnny_C and he sorted it out so im sure an exhaust shop will do that for you in 5 minutes mate.
Christy

dac69er

Super Moderator
looks rusted through. best bet would to put a short sleeve over it and then weld that on. also ask them to weld a brace on the back to give it some support.

lingl9z

Member +
looks rusted through. best bet would to put a short sleeve over it and then weld that on. also ask them to weld a brace on the back to give it some support.

Thanks buddy, yeah looks like the welds totally rusted through at the bottom part, i tried digging it with a screw driver to see how rusty and it didnt go through around it will have to see, and the brace is a good idea, cheers buddy rep

it realy depends on the place but anywere between 50-60 pounds id imagine plus the cost of the flexi and flanges.

Cheers pal :) sounds like somthing i can finally afford to fix on this tin.

jabran200

Member +
didn't see the flexi bit lol thats for the flanges. with a flexi hed probs like 40-50 ish depends on wehre you want etc. Welds backboxes sia daily thing with lol does couple a day.

Comman practise should be used here just hideing rot with weld only prolongs and masks the problem :( as stated it wants a sleve but you want to ask them to crop and insert a piece as it is far quicker to do that than just weld the hole ;)

realisticly i would personly think it would be around a £50 job thats with flanges and flexi dont pay to much above that shop around mate :)

lingl9z

Member +
Comman practise should be used here just hideing rot with weld only prolongs and masks the problem :( as stated it wants a sleve but you want to ask them to crop and insert a piece as it is far quicker to do that than just weld the hole ;)

realisticly i would personly think it would be around a £50 job thats with flanges and flexi dont pay to much above that shop around mate :)

didn't see the flexi bit lol thats for the flanges. with a flexi hed probs like 40-50 ish depends on wehre you want etc. Welds backboxes sia daily thing with lol does couple a day.

Cheers guys, have some rep, I'll see what they tell me :)

weeJohn

Lifer
That would be a nightmare to weld, you would need to knock out all the rusted metal and then you would have a big hole to fill, nightmare.

GTdan

In The Closet
i had this happen on my previous car - i did my usually bodge of quicksteel (like metal putty that dries rock hard) anyway, that fixed and stopped the blowing :)
but as said above, getting it welded is best bet cut out rust and weld a new section it.

lingl9z

Member +
That would be a nightmare to weld, you would need to knock out all the rusted metal and then you would have a big hole to fill, nightmare.
Cheers buddy will have a look into it, - rep :)

i had this happen on my previous car - i did my usually bodge of quicksteel (like metal putty that dries rock hard) anyway, that fixed and stopped the blowing :)
but as said above, getting it welded is best bet cut out rust and weld a new section it.

blegh i might try that quicksteel if its too expensive to fit etc! - rep

lingl9z

Member +
mine was like that when i bought it, cut all the rust out and welded it with tig, strong as a brick shithouse now

how long it take mate, ive got a welder but it must be poop as it trips my house fusebox if i try use it lol..