Is this engine block scrap?? 74.9mm

Greeney887

Member +
So I’ve been out and bought a damaged forged engine with plans of rebuilding

stripped down and got everything measured up today

last person who built it had it machines for 74.5mm pistons.

The cylinder that had spun a bearing has one spot mid cylinder where the worse of the wear was going on that’s measuring near 74.9mm, not a lot of room to play with for the next size up

the rest of the bad bore is all okay measuring close to 74.5 it’s literally just one spot.

does anyone know if a machine shop would even bother trying or is this likely to not clean up well to 75mm.

I know it’s a bit of a broad question but such a shame to scrap it when I’ve just bought it
Cheers

dac69er

Super Moderator
A machine shop would be best placed to make that call as they can see it. If they think going to 75mm will remove any markings on the cylinder wall, then it should be good. If it's 74.9, but it's still pretty damaged at that point, then it would be a no go.

daniel_g

Member +
Worthwhile getting it checked by a machine shop.

I have a damaged block aswell that can only be saved by getting it sleeved.

Greeney887

Member +
A machine shop would be best placed to make that call as they can see it. If they think going to 75mm will remove any markings on the cylinder wall, then it should be good. If it's 74.9, but it's still pretty damaged at that point, then it would be a no go.
The worse part is 74.9 and the scoring isn’t bad at all really hopefully it’s saveable

Djaniero

Member +
Aww man.Sorry to hear Greeney. I came close to buying it.
The seller said it made over 300bhp before it started knocking. Any idea what caused it to spin a bearing?