Is this normal? Td04 boost

A172

Member +
Ok so I have on a WRX td04 right now with the stock internal wastegate and the actuator rod shortened and positioned perfectly closing the wg shut

in 1st and 2nd gear....I get 14psi low down and this drops off to around 11psi at redline....in 3rd and 4th it holds the 14psi straight to redline

my question is about the boost dropping off in the early gears....is this normal for this turbo?

Any advice much appreciated...thanks.

Nippon

Member +
Wont be the boost solenoid if its TD04. I would hazard a guess that its the actuator. They can get old and not hold boost correctly. May be worth investing in a HKS one. You could invest in an electronic boost controller aswell mind u.

A172

Member +
no stock boost solenoid connected

got an HKS EVC-4 and boost raises like normal

external wastegate's in the cards for the future I guess..

nyahbingi

Member +
Did you rotate the TD04? And move the actuator? IF yes it could be rocking as i had a similar problem when i did mine.

If not check the settings on the EVC.

External wastegate is not needed on your setup do a search and you will see.

A172

Member +
^yeh same setup as how you had yours more or less....actuator location is not the issue....it's held FIRM.

EVC working normal,ie, it's raising the boost as it should....the tapering off is happening with the EBC off.

Rory

Lifer
Its been known that in the lower gears, its possible for the boost to drop, just like the CT9.

Will be nothing to do with the solenoid.

Look at the settings in the EBC, you should be able to sort it through there.
Also check the tension on the actuator arm, you may be able to sort it from here also.

A172

Member +
yeh well this is what I'm thinking....with my old ct9 the same thing used to happen in the first two gears

the actuator arm is stiff as hell....so that's not a concern either

remember it's holding boost perfect from 3rd gear upwards

just wondering if the issue is normal in the first 2 gears:confused:

Rory

Lifer
i think its down to how much load is on the motor, obviously in the lower gears, there is not the same load as 3rd gear onwards, due to the ratio's.

A172

Member +
yeh i was thinking it cud be to do with load also

guess I should have mentioned that the 4efte in question isn't in a Starlet....but a '98 Opel Corsa B that's fully stripped out :haha:

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
yeh i was thinking it cud be to do with load also

guess I should have mentioned that the 4efte in question isn't in a Starlet....but a '98 Opel Corsa B that's fully stripped out :haha:

Just make sure the actuator isnt moving,grab it with both hands if you can and pull as hard as you can,if it moves at all it could be the problem,i had the exact same problem,its surprising how much strenght the arm actually has.

A172

Member +
Just make sure the actuator isnt moving,grab it with both hands if you can and pull as hard as you can,if it moves at all it could be the problem,i had the exact same problem,its surprising how much strenght the arm actually has.

Ok think we found the problem...

went to tune the car last night and the stock boost was around 17-18psi....so we definitely had an overboost problem

hooked up an air compressor to the actuator and pumped only to see the arm barely moving :haha:

so it was too stiff it seems keeping the wastegate flap shut for too long

slackened the arm a bit and went to check again.....got low boost of 0.7bar and it raises to 1bar on high with the EVC-4....so it seems the problem is figured out...for now:)

Thanks for all the input guys.