is this rings or head gasket :P

shaunsep82

Member +
Hiya guys

The starlet just had a massive bloom of smoke come out of it a friend who was following said it was black ???? But not sure
after opening the bonnet seeing oil pissing out the rocker cover top breather I then toped it up

After doing a compression test here is me results

Dry was 1-70 2-150 3-60 4-140
Wet was 1-90 2-170 3-75 4-150

At first I may have fort head gasket but I think where the rings have possibly gone and pushing the oil out the breather

I have taken the head off but the gasket has bubbled up in places but does not look like it is gone

So I am guessing rings
Do you think the same

Kyle_R

Member +
Hiya guys

The starlet just had a massive bloom of smoke come out of it a friend who was following said it was black ???? But not sure
after opening the bonnet seeing oil pissing out the rocker cover top breather I then toped it up

After doing a compression test here is me results

Dry was 1-70 2-150 3-60 4-140
Wet was 1-90 2-170 3-75 4-150

At first I may have fort head gasket but I think where the rings have possibly gone and pushing the oil out the breather

I have taken the head off but the gasket has bubbled up in places but does not look like it is gone

So I am guessing rings
Do you think the same

looking at your results i would say rings on cylinder 3 mate you should have the same reading across all cylinders!!!! 3 is definately down!!!!!

danb87

South East England Area Rep
well you definitly have issue on cylinders 1 an 3. them readings are too low. an you say gasket looked out?

could have possible been a warped head or block. or rings id say dude.

Kyle_R

Member +
well you definitly have issue on cylinders 1 an 3. them readings are too low. an you say gasket looked out?

could have possible been a warped head or block. or rings id say dude.
i dint notice 1 aswell how spirted was your driving??????????? we all love a spirited drive!!!

shaunsep82

Member +
yer it was a bit manic poor old girl :((( will take the pistons out tomoro and let you all no what i see thanks for the info :)

shaunsep82

Member +
hi guys after taking the piston out and seeing the rings were ok.... and then having a very close look at the pistons and seeing a crack by the rings.

lukep

Member +
Ive seen this alot the ring lands crack causing a drop in compression and not idling also burning alot of oil.

shaunsep82

Member +
Ive seen this alot the ring lands crack causing a drop in compression and not idling also burning alot of oil.

oh so that is what the ring lands are......... i did think they were that but fort they may have bin something else to :p

so now i am on the hunt for pistons but there are 3 diffrent types

74.0mm
74.5mm
75.0mm

why do they have e diffrent sizes i fort starlets were all the same cc be for you start boring out ect

Fatman

Member +
There are several sorts of OEM pistons, however they aren't 74, 74.5 and 75mm. They're a much smaller size difference than that. The aftermarket pistons are commonly those sizes, however you got it right when you mentioned boring block. Anything over 74mm will need some machine work.

I would bet money on pistons 1 and 3 being cracked in at least 2 places in the second/third ring areas.

shaunsep82

Member +
yer i will try to upload some pics very soon of them just to show you and what is a normall size gt turbo piston :p feeling a bit dumd now

AdamB

Member +
The standard size is 74mm, but depending on the bores conidition it may need to be rebored and it will have to be rebored to suit 74.5mm pistons. You may just get away with honing the bores and putting in a set of standard 74mm pistons, but thats something a machinist can tell you.