Issue Removing Old Brake Lines

muthaducka

Member +
And again, I still haven't managed to fit my new brakes yet. I cannot remove the existing brake lines. The nut on both sides won't budge. It's only 10mm and a spanner just flexes and rolls round it. I've tried pliers and I can't generate enough force to turn the nut.

Am I missing something obvious. They don't seem to want to come out!!!!!

03072008019.jpg

You should be able to see the offending nut where the tube meets with the metal pipe.

ragz

Member +
your meant to use break pipe spanners lad n if that dont work then vice grips would defo do it

good luck

chinaone

Member +
Think i used a spanner, if not use a mo grip, as you know the nut ain't been touch since the cars been born, it will take some strength to undo.
Make sure you turn it the right way, and don't round that nut off.

gv1.3

Admin
I used a small vice grips and tapped it with a hammer took a bit of work but eventually came loose. Looks from that pic like you are starting to take the sides off it ... careful!

If your really having trouble you could always take your car to your local garage and get them to wield a bar to that nut, then all you have to do it swing on that bar and shes off!

muthaducka

Member +
great :( - one thing leads onto another. I've just had a chat with someone from a parts garage and he suggested that the nut may well have rusted onto the pipe. His suggestion was to try penetrating spray over 24 / 48 hours, and then tape the nut to try and loosen some rust and then go again with the penetrating spray. If this fails, then cut the pipe but it's supposed to be very difficult to re-join the nut using a flaring tool (about £90-£100 - no thanks).

I'm going to give it a full blast with the penetrating spray and go from there. I wasn't aware that a brake spanner existed but I think the nut will just round of further than they already have with that.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll have a go over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

Cheers...

muthaducka

Member +
p.s. - dave, I like your style but I haven't got any brakes at the moment to drive it to a garage. I also cut the old lines because I was determined that my new steel lines would be fitted!