matt walters

Member +
did the compression test earlier, and unfortunately its not looking good.#

results are :

cyl 1- 150psi
cyl 2- 150psi
cyl 3- 105psi
cyl 4- 150psi

i did the test because the car smokes a lot, white smoke with a blue tint to it the majority of the time.

what will it be thats wrong? rings?

how long would you expect the engine to last at this?

any help appreciated :)

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
put some oil in the cylinder and do the test again on cly 3 mate. if compression goes up its rings, gasket or bore(normally) if compression stays the same could be a sticky valve / worn seating...

check again and get back mate.

AdamB

Member +
As said above, drop some oil down cylinder with and try again. If it doesn't do anything then it could be anything to do with that cylinder, something in the head or even to do with the piston itself.

tersplat

Member +
as said above, it's going to be the ringlands on that cylinder. the blue smoke is due to excessive crankcase pressure pushing oil past your turbo oil seals. the rest of the smoke is just burning oil. check out my thread in the resolved topics section titled"I have smoke coming out of my breather. Why is this?" it has a video, and pictures of what to expect when you tear down the engine. you can drive on it however long you want, just dont drive hard, and you WILL damage the oil seals in your turbo.

matt walters

Member +
i have dropped oil down the cylinder to check. it dropped slightly lower, only slightly though.

i have my old engine in the garage, just gotta strip it down and re build it with a new head. gonna re furb the whole lot so that its a fresh engine.

not to fussed about the oil seals, ive got nearly all my td04 kit ready to put on now, but spose ill wait till i get the other engone sorted else itll blow this one to bits.

thanks for all your help lads.all repped :)

John@ECC

Lifer
If you are going to be fitting a TD04 etc what about going forged so you know it will be strong enough to last???

matt walters

Member +
cant really afford it at the mo, would love to re build the other engine to a forged spec but just cant afford it. if i get work soon enough ill use the engine thats in the car at the min for a forged build.

John@ECC

Lifer
Just in case you wanted price's, we have tested this packaged to 380BHP sofar.

- Wiseco Pistons (74.5mm with -10cc Dish)
- Scat Conrods
- ACL Bearings
- ARP Headstuds
- Athena Headgasket (1.3)

Price : £1070 + £20 Delivery.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
if it only made a very little difference then probably its head related and not piston/ring. :)

matt walters

Member +
spose :/

can anyone suggest what id need to do a full rebuild on the other engine using standard replacement parts?

not done one before so dont have a clue where to start tbh :/

AdamB

Member +
He said he wants to replace the parts to build it to a fresh engine, not because anythings wrong with it.

The list to rebuild it is very long, it depends on how far you want to go?
Pistons, piston rings, big ends, little ends, crank regrind, headbolts, con rod bolts... anything you can think of that creates friction will wear out, so is worth replacing if you want a fresh engine.

The way I see it though, the cylinder head is where the power is made or lost. Aslong as the piston rings have a tight seal and your not throwing combustion gas away down through to the crankcase.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
TheStarletGT .. this is your last chance... stop giving misleading advice ...

Consider yourself warned.

Kon