Ive had it ! Steam from rad cap :((((

After messing up changing the headgasket the forst time i then changed it a second time today put it all back together timed preped coolant ps fluid and oil ....started first time and the actual manifold started smoking this stopped so i am guessing it was just dirty due to me touching it with oily hands etc

Stopped at a set of lights and caught a glance of some smoke coming from the scoop so i went to a garage opened the bonnet and steam was cumming from the rad cap looked like it was creeping out and on my oil catch only one side has a hose and the other is closed, smoke was cumming from the open side also

And to add insult to injury it isnt boosting and sounds like a leak but cant see where , could this be related ?

I left the rad cap off on startup for a few minutes to bleed the air from the water system but it is loosing coolant but its not all over the engine

Its really starting to wind me up guys any ideas ?

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Leaving the radiator cap off for a few mins should bleed the system enough but i leave it off for a good 5/10 mins as i normally tidy up while the cars running and to be safe!

Have you done a compression test on it now with the headgasket on correctly? This is what i would personally do first to ensure the issue you had is now fixed, granted all the symptoms lead everyone to believe it was the HG but always worth a check!

Isent boosting i.e not going onto boost (+ boost) at all? Not dumpvalve noice or chatter?

Not done a comp test mate ill do one tmoz after wok then ....i had a but if boost at first and then it jst stopped was chattering fine then stopped but wasnt really on boost whn i took it out was takeing it easy

Jst revs with nothing hapening :( the rad top pipe was really warm aswell pretty much what it was like before the gasket change :(

Anyone else ?

Could the catch can be crank vapours ?

And will i refill the coolant run
It with heaters on full and then try my mates rad cap off his gt ?

Thermostat ? Cars not overheating
Though ?

lukep

Member +
If its smoke from catch can could well be ring lands have you tried replacing the rad cap it could be faulty.

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
If that was my car I would first do a compression test. You can test everything else after...just try to do things logically.

1. comp test
2. Check rad is flowing correctly -maybe its blocked?
3. Are all your hose connected up correctly?

when you did the rebuild/had the head off did you get it skimmed like everyone said? or did you just clean it up and hope for the best? Could be a warped head not sealing when put back together - which I suspect it is! :)

Other than that, its working backwards mate!

weeJohn

Lifer
It possible that water got into the oilways when you first started it, it will take a while to bleed off. Just check that you have the water and vacuum lines on the right way on the inlet maniflold, if they are wrong water gets pumped into the engine.

wildchild

Member +
i rebuilt my engine last week with my mechanic. Had the head skimmed on the block. put in a 1.2mm steel head gasket and tightened according to torque specs. (has ARP headbolts). started the engine and not even two minutes had elapsed when coolant started leaking from the gasket near the engine number area and above the oil filter housing. it was leaking from the head gasket. engine was running fine. no combustion leak or misfiring.
Removed tappet cover and tightened all bolts again and it was all to the torque specs. my mechanic said that he never used a torque wrench on 25years of his engine build service coz he never needed one. he bought one since i insisted. Then i told him to do his way and he added a tube to his standard box handle and tightened it and surprisingly all bolts turned an extra 60 degrees more. a few turned just 30.
Fitted all and started again and it was all fine! :)
What he says it that torque settings are good for engines that are usually new, never removed and never skimmed.

Last edited:

Johnleiper

Member +
Defo compression test first. Did you check the head and block for cracks or damage? Also did you blow out the holes for the head bolts before fitting and torquing them?

Im going to borrow my mates ra cap tonight after re-bleeding the system mate

@marci head was skinmed mate new gasket headbolts etc , all the lines are defo correct on the inlet as i jst took the inlet off to prevent me putting them in the wrong way

That could be a possibility john hopefully a good run should dru it off , i thought it was crank vapours i read sommewhere maby on here that can happen

What you mean mate put it on dry ?

Cheers for the help guys. !

Go out for another compbtest in a min mate and post results

Skalabala

Member +
You need to put something on the gasket while assembling, like grease etc
I use copper spray and have never had problems even at 2bar with 2JZ
And I only use Victor Reinz head gaskets.

I used copper gasket stuff on it the problem has changed ill close this symptoms have changed lol if this doesnt work im sellin it and keeping my daily im sick of it going wrong