Ive lost my Whoooosssh!

Glanza Pat

Member +
I have a G-reddy Type RS Bov and the screw and nut fell off driving home last night, so effectively leaving it on soft setting. Had to drive it to work this morning so just wanted to make sure im not doing any damage driving around like this until i get time to get a screw and nut. Havent been driving hard or anything but i can hear what i think is some wastegate chatter. is that right? Its only quiet but sounds pretty cool.

How do you get wastegate chatter?

I might be completely wrong but its worth asking :)

cheers for any help

riko666

Member +
No such thing as "wastegate chatter"...it's called Turbo Stall, and you get this when you run without some sort of Boost Relief Valve as when the throttle is closed, the throttlebody closes, effectively trapping air between it and the turbo, which then proceeds to slow down the turbine...hence the High pitched noise created by the turbine slicing through the air that is attempting to stop or "stall" the turbine

Glanza Pat

Member +
oh i see. I thought i had read about 'Wastegate Chatter' somewhere before. Oh well. I stand corrected, Thank you. So it doese'nt sound too healthy and I will sort it out when I get home from work this evening.

Out of interest, why has the bov stopped working. Is it becuase it is just on its softest setting and so is constantly releasing, so not building up any pressure to dump it all in one go? If so the turbo stall shouldnt be happening...should it?

riko666

Member +
The turbo stall would happen if the Bov is too hard, as it's not releasing the air, hence causing the turbo stall...strange it's happening if it's loose. It's not too bad though, a lot of people run without, and whilst a lot of people say it's detrimental to the oil seals, the people running without note no problems

Glanza Pat

Member +
Hmm does sound a bit strange. Will have a closer look tonight as i could only have a quick look last night at 3am in the dark so just noticed the obvious screw and nut missing. Will let you know what i find if anything. Cheers for the help mate :)

Glanza Pat

Member +
Hope not, think thats all honky dory, will put the screw and nut back in and hopefully that will sort it for me.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
yesterday mine started to chatter a lot. I tought my bov was working as it seemd it was stuck. cos before i just heard some *pffff* on full boost. any way so from some reading, chatter happens when DV/BOV are stuck? btw sorry to jump in this thread but i dont like to start new ones on the same topic :)

Dru_Dragon

Fresh Recruit
Check your vacuum line to your bov. If your bov only works on high boost, it probably doesnt have proper vacuum to open the piston on low boost. Should b able 2 buy a new screw from any hardware/auto store. M6, just make sure u get a long one 4 more adjustment.

Last edited: