Judder in steering wheel when braking!

thefalls

Member +
Alright,i have been having this judder in the steering wheel when braking from 120km/h to around 80-70 km/h.
However i must mention that there are no tremors or shakiness in the brake pedal.

I have a big brake kit fitted recently....so that eliminates the warped discs option.

Tyres are in very good shape,yokos advans.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Double check that the brakes are not warped.

Also check the balancing on the tyres ( off chance but seen a few instances with customers car this to be the problem)

Mike_ep91

Member +
check the cars wheels are tracked and balanced and also make sure that all the bolts on the kit brake kit are tight.

thefalls

Member +
Thanks for the reply.
Brakes have been checked and double checked guys.
Next on the list is the tracking and balancing of wheels.
Thing is that when i had the brake kit [D2 6 pot] installed there was no judder whatsoever,it was all fine.

ponyc

Fresh Recruit
Thanks for the reply.
Brakes have been checked and double checked guys.
Next on the list is the tracking and balancing of wheels.
Thing is that when i had the brake kit [D2 6 pot] installed there was no judder whatsoever,it was all fine.
Check the track rod ends there is a good chance it coiuld be them.there is a ball joint at the end of it and it could be worn which would leave it loose.they help keep your steering stabalised.also check your wheel bearings, if you jack up the car on one side and rock the wheel in and out you will know if there is a bearing gone if it's loose.and if it's neither of these check to see if your brakes are pulling evenly just try those before you go spending money getting it balanced or allignment done on it.

thefalls

Member +
wheels checked and no play.
track rod ends are firm and not loose as well.
Ball joints are good as well.
Any thoughts about any thing loose in the steering column?

Texx

Super Moderator
Pull the discs back off and check for any corrosion on the face of the hubs or back of the discs which might cause the discs to sit on the piss when everything is bolted back up. The best thing to do is pull the discs off, clean the hubs and discs up with a flat head screwdriver and wire brush, apply a small amount of copper slip or urea grease around the hub ring and reassemble.

thefalls

Member +
I should removing the brake kit soon then try some oem brake set up and double check for the same problem.
I will also get the big brake set up checked for warped discs....i highly doubt that the D2 discs are warped!...but anything is possible.!