Just done my first clutch

marty

Member +
Just managed to change my first ever clutch (and hopefully the last) thought it was the release bearing but when I got the clutch off the bearing looked okay and instead the transmission side of the clutch plate was chewed to shit..it was as if the fingers of the pressure plate had caught it, few cracks round it as well and the same thing happened to me before :confused: I'll try and post up a few pictures later to see if you guys have any idea what's going on but at least I saved myself a few quid on labour AND it kept me out of the pub for a weekend...well it's early days yet! :beer:

dac69er

Super Moderator
did it sound or drive badly with the centre all cracked and damaged like that?

I had a cracked centre on my ep85 clutch when I removed it. was when the car was bone stock 4efe so wasnt due to too much power. may have just been age fatigue or something!?

marty

Member +
Well on idle there was a bad rattle until foot was placed on clutch and then when I drove her the final yards into the garage to start work on her there was a lovely screeching noise that developed! Think it was just age related because I wouldn't be running much mire than stock power through it..

Last clutch that came out was very similar though, one of the springs had come completely out due to cracking!

triple j

Member +
Clutch looks to still have some meat on it bar the scrapes, what did the fly wheel look like maybe it needs a skim

marty

Member +
Flywheel was grand bar some heat spots..plenty of beef left on the clutch as well. There's definitely plenty left on it now anyway!