Just noticed a strange engine noise??

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
On my way home today I noticed when crawling in 2nd gear in queuing traffic what sounded like a short vibrating sound when lifting off the throttle and the revs dropped. I thought something was vibrating in the engine bay after all the bits Ive installed /changed under there! So when I got home I looked under the bonnet and revved it and listened. After doing that Im a little more worried though I could be being paranoid. The noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine. Just after you lift off opening the throttle there is like a short buzz from the top off the engine. It is not continuous all the way down as the revs drop just a brief buzz. The car drives normal but I have just not noticed this before. The engine had a forged rebuild less than 10k miles ago but no headwork other than being cleaned and put back together if that is at all relevant.

Any ideas? Im getting our mechanic to check it tomorrow but cant get it out my head so thought i'd ask!

Mike

Gtstu

Member +
i had a similar noise but traced it to the dipstick tube being loose lol . have you put a screw driver to your ear to try and pin piont it?

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
i had a similar noise but traced it to the dipstick tube being loose lol . have you put a screw driver to your ear to try and pin piont it?

Thats weird as Ive had that exact same dipstick tube rattle! Must be a common fault. Dont think its that this time though. Hopefully nothing serious though.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i had a noise like that. thought it was coming from the cambelt side of the engine. turned out to be the stock bov. i guess your not running a stock bov on a forged engine though ;)

nutta

Member +
i had a rattle n could think what it was, but it was actually the bonnet bar holder popping off the fuse box, it could well be that when ur drivin??

Guye

Lifer
Sad to say it could be so many different things that we may not be much help to you. You can do the screwdriver listening thing (a long one, tip on the engine, ear on the handle) and that should help pinpoint more precisely where the sound is coming from. Once you have a location, that's 50% of the problem solved. Give it a try.

turbo-fever

Member +
got the exact same thing mate its driving me mad its sumink to do where my manfold flange is (as thats were its coming from) have tried new gaskets etc nuthin works, so now dont know wat to do