K1 and External Wastegate

Gary91

Member +
I have a Blitz K1 which I will be fitting soon and from what I've read about them, they can't run at less than a bar of boost. Can anyone confirm this?

If the above is true, could I hold the internal wastegate closed and use an external wastegate with a 0.5 bar spring or would I have to use a 1 bar spring?

Also, whats the best way to hold an internal wastegate closed? Just had the turbo rebuilt so not keen on welding it closed.

Killamats

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.toyotagtturb
You can run any turbo at any desired boost level, obviously different turbos have different efficiency ranges, and I am sure the K1 is at its best with 1 bar boost and perhaps even a tad more - 1.2bar, being a hybrid.

Closed the internal gate (weld it shut or just weld the bracket on the actuator) and regulate boost levels using the external wastegate (different spring/combination of springs) :)

You can run any turbo at any desired boost level, obviously different turbos have different efficiency ranges, and I am sure the K1 is at its best with 1 bar boost and perhaps even a tad more - 1.2bar, being a hybrid.

Closed the internal gate (weld it shut or just weld the bracket on the actuator) and regulate boost levels using the external wastegate (different spring/combination of springs) :)

X2 external waste gate will give u much better boost control hybrid ct9's are bad for boost creep I'd def go external

Rev

Member +
I have a Blitz K1 which I will be fitting soon and from what I've read about them, they can't run at less than a bar of boost. Can anyone confirm this?

If the above is true, could I hold the internal wastegate closed and use an external wastegate with a 0.5 bar spring or would I have to use a 1 bar spring?

Also, whats the best way to hold an internal wastegate closed? Just had the turbo rebuilt so not keen on welding it closed.

Yes it is true to get the power from a K1 they need good air flow in and boost. Higher boost will improve spool and lower torque while the extra air flow that gives them higher power than the ct9 occurs at higher revs and I would say boost above 15 psi . My k1 is spiking at 3600 so good control as said is best but I would say most important is a well designed front mount ic so you can turn up the boost.

Last edited:

Gary91

Member +
Cheers Mark, Just wasn't sure about fitting it and running it at wrong boost and doing damage.
My Zisco Ramhorn manifold and wastegate should be here sometime next week thanks to Keith :) So everything will be fitted soon as.