k24 vs tdo4l

richglanzav

Member +
which is better guys and why? i wna buy my bits for me car stage by stage and sorry for askin so many questions bout turbos but i rly wna make sure i pick the right one. im after in region of 250bhp, and ive heard good things bout the k24 for fast street use. not really bothered bout drag racing.

engine will stay 4e and be forged. so is k24 a good choice?

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Hey Mate

All depends what your needing from the car, drag racing and straight line speed the TD04 wins mate but tbh i'd go for the k24 all day long due to it spooling faster, giving better torque at lower boost's than the TD04 and is better suited to the track.

I run a TD04 setup as well so hope that helps you.

~Nick @ Tuning Developments

dantheman

Member +
jones would you not think the td04 is more suitable for track as its powerband at high revs is far greater? but then i guess you could argue the k24's low down power would be better on exit speeds. always a compromise!

lennyEP82

Member +
im selling a k24 not biased or anything lol the power is more than enough in a starlet and the accelerate like mad, amazing bit of kit i was in the same dilemma as u i even ordered td04 kit but changed my mind!

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
the search button is ur friend.. there is a very long topic about this from a while back...

kon

Gee

Member +
If you are looking for a good street application, K24.

250hp thou...has anyone seen a K24 dyno this much?

To see this power, you may want a tad larger turbo. I know Toby has made good results with a K24 (I think), but it was with ice bags on the intercooler and race fuel or something?

People always say the K24 would be better on track..maybe. It is a racing turbo after all. But no one has been on the track with the TD04L boosted to its full potential, only 1bar...not yet anyway ;)

The actual nature of the track will play a part in it too.

Here is my power graph, 275hp at 1.4bar.

img007600x454.jpg

I may change my opinion when I finally get a go in a K24 Starlet thou!!!??

Nick@TD.co.uk

im waiting for kelly to jump into this thread!!
I was out in my GT against ben_j in his GT and it was pretty close down the straights (i might of just had the edge top end) but off the bends it did have a good punch from the K24 and the torque figures it gives are far greater than a TD04.

Plus a K24 will run round track all day long, you say your going to get out on track at 1.4bar gee? good luck mate can't see your oil, water or headgasket last long but hey thats just my opinion.

~Nick

Chris@CCM

Member +
I was out in my GT against ben_j in his GT and it was pretty close down the straights (i might of just had the edge top end) but off the bends it did have a good punch from the K24 and the torque figures it gives are far greater than a TD04.

Plus a K24 will run round track all day long, you say your going to get out on track at 1.4bar gee? good luck mate can't see your oil, water or headgasket last long but hey thats just my opinion.

~Nick
what makes u think this bud ?

Nick@TD.co.uk

what makes u think this bud ?
What about the oil, water and headgasket?

Because gee runs no oil cooler, his headgasket will not fill him with confidence after goldenvtr, steveep82, ben_j and myself have all blown the same headgasket when pushed hard.

~Nick

98_glanza

Member +

Because gee runs no oil cooler, his headgasket will not fill him with confidence after goldenvtr, steveep82, ben_j and myself have all blown the same headgasket when pushed hard.

~Nick

which headgasket was this if you dont mind me askin??

Chris@CCM

Member +

~Nick
ahh rite get u now tho from gee posts i think he is going to be geting a oil cooler. there been a for a those head gaskets blow over hear too

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
Well, I'm going to say K24 because I have one... TD04's give better flexibility, so arguably, they're better on the road. However, the K24's so strong on boost that it would cane most things, be it on the road or track... Definitely not user friendly though, mine feels like an afterburner when it goes, and I sometimes struggle to stay on the road! Could just be mine though, as the diff's pretty hardcore... :p

Nick@TD.co.uk

ahh rite get u now tho from gee posts i think he is going to be geting a oil cooler. there been a for a those head gaskets blow over hear too
Yeah and im no way slagging anyone off, just saying it will most likely blow running round a track at 1.4bar and oil temperatures will not last with no cooler at 1.4!

Cheers
~Nick

Gee

Member +

~Nick

You have simply assumed I am taking it on track without an oil cooler, when you have seen threads started by me showing interest in oil cooler kits?

And the headgasket..why would this not last? You mean because it is a SpeedVision headgasket...or that a 4EFTE headgasket simply wont take 1.4bar of boost from a TD04L?

EDIT:

I see what you mean..because it is a SpeedVision headgasket. I can't deny the fact people have had problems. I currently have an oil leak, oil up the back of the engine..could be gasket for all I know, will be getting sorted soon.

My car is going on track once:

TRD LSD fitted (dropped off Saturday)
Oil cooler fitted (still looking into which to get)
Headgasket...who knows? Change to be on the safe side?

Steve pushed his car on track when he KNEW it was knocking, but kept on pushing because he thought his gauge or something was playing up. Golden pushed a headgasket which it suspected was leaking after simply starting his engine. Another used blew their Speedvision headgasket..cjanged to a branded JDM headgasket and blew that too.

Like I've said, I might change it to be on the safe side.

Oh, and assuming my water temps are fine, headgasket changed, oil cooler in place...for what reason do you think it will blow on track?

If the water temps get high, oil temps get too high..I'll replace for tripple core rad and larger cooler, its called a shakedown. Just like you discovered and will be going for a cooler with more rows as a result.

Last edited:

Nick@TD.co.uk

Well, I'm going to say K24 because I have one... TD04's give better flexibility, so arguably, they're better on the road. However, the K24's so strong on boost that it would cane most things, be it on the road or track... Definitely not user friendly though, mine feels like an afterburner when it goes, and I sometimes struggle to stay on the road! Could just be mine though, as the diff's pretty hardcore... :p
Bens is the same mate, on boost the turbo and diff together bite very hard, mines not that bad with the TD04.

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
Bens is the same mate, on boost the turbo and diff together bite very hard, mines not that bad with the TD04.

I reckon both were spawned by the same evil genius given that their specs are near on identical... Besides, if it didn't scare me, what would be the point of driving it? :D