Keeps cutting out, searching idle and reeks of petrol

Fez

Member +
Ok guys, here's the scenario. The stock intake mani of my 96 Glanza was covered with grime on the inside, so decided to get it cleaned after consulting with a few members on here :) also got the petrol pump and filter in the tank cleaned up as well.
Since I was short on tools and proper technical knowledge to tackle it on my own, I gave the car to a mechanic do get it done.

Got the car back today and was in for a rude surprise. Firstly, the car wont keep the revs up, idles around the 500 mark then cuts out. Also wont rev above 2500 and feels as if the engine is really straining at this point. and there's a really strong smell of petrol, seems to be unburnt fuel from the exhaust.

Looking to go do the idle adjustment and TPS setup as shown in the forum, anything else I should check/ adjust?

Appreciate the help in advance, will be repped.

Cheers!

AdamB

Member +
When they removed the inlet did they replace the inlet-head gasket?
It sounds like a vac leak, check the small hoses around the bay, intercooler connections, and make sure the bolts are up tight on the inlet and throttle body.

Fez

Member +
Thanks Adam, did as you said. All hoses, nuts, connections etc were ok, only the vac pipe to the MAPS was left hanging! So fixed that up.
But seems I will require a TPS adjustment as it seems to have been turned a bit when the TB was taken out :)

Fez

Member +
I did go back John. Took out the mani and TB and re-checked all the plumbing and put them back. He had not put in the MAPS hose in. Seems that he was not too familiar with the sensors and their purpose/ layout in the Glanza! Bit of a fail for a mechanic, lol.
Plugged the hose back in then cleaned out the dizzy cap and rotor before putting it all back in. I'd say the car is around 90% now, I hope with the TPS adjustment I should be ok.

I had a TPS problem previously as well. So im guessing when the TB was removed this time the TPS would have shifted a bit.

The smell of petrol was from under the seat mainly. The top cover had not sealed proper and the petrol vapours seemed to be coming through. Put in a layer of Silicone and set it in again. Hope that solves it.

Having weird issues lately with the car. thanks a lot for the support from you guys. Has most certainly been immensely helpful and also encouraging.