Knocking Front End, with Pics and Videos

DavidAshton

Member +
Story goes......I had trd shocks with cusco top mounts, the top mounts started knocking, swapped the shocks / top mounts for some oem shocks / top mounts. All was good, they were just wank and the car handled like a boat then one of the oem shocks burst.

So last week I put the TRD shock with the OEM top monts, all using the same lowering springs.

Now my general steering / suspension sound like its trying to escape from the car. It doesnt knock all the time only over certain bumps but it sounds really harsh like metal on metal less on the drivers side but really bad on the passengers side. So I have investigated and documented the following and hopefully someone can see what the funk is up.

This is a video / explination of what the passenger side wheel does when I rock it with the car jacked up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUTn7r8JeFc

Here is a better vid so you can see the movement in the wheel, everything like shafts and tracking rod feel solid its just the wheel and strut tower that moves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQCvcOI3lm4

Here are some pics of the condition of the passenger side suspension components:

IMG_1774.jpg

Drop link

IMG_1775.jpg

Track Rod End

IMG_1776.jpg

Lower ball joint

IMG_1777.jpg

Overview

Same again but the drivers side:

IMG_1768.jpg

Drop Link

IMG_1769.jpg

Track Rod End

IMG_1771.jpg

Lower Ball Joint

IMG_1772.jpg

Overview

Everything looks bent and fooked to me but there are no marks on anything to suggest its knocking so im stumped as to what it is and dont want to waste money replacing unnessacery parts.

Anyone have a clear idea of whats going on?

lukep

Member +
If you want to come down at weekend David I stick it over the put and have a look for you, we will be able to pin point your problem.

lukep

Member +
Just looking at that second video mate you disk doesn't move with your wheel which to me say the nuts aren't tight enough

DavidAshton

Member +
Lol I wish it was just loose wheel nuts!

The caliper and disk moves with the wheel, i think its down to a bad angle and the becasue there in the centre they dont move as much.

Also if you look at the reflection in the disk rather than the disk itself the movement becomes more apparent.

Last edited:

lukep

Member +
You want me to come up or you come down? I would say you shouldnt drive it like that mate, that must sound scary as fuck while driving it.

corofin12345

Member +
check for play between track rod end and steering rack.. lock the steering wheel when doing this.. it could be your steering rack

DavidAshton

Member +
Thanks guys, i got it sorted. It was the main bolt on top of the strut, I could only get the bolt on finger tight as the trd shock screw is bigger and i couldn't get a socket round the nut and in the oem top mount.

Put the oem shock back on, gunned the top bolt on and everything went solid and the banging stopped.