knocking noise when turning right & left & a knock from the left HELP asap :)

johnnygt

Member +
hi guys

as some of you might know i've been building my starlet for just over a year now aswell as building mine at the same time have been helping on my mates starlet too

basically we've finally got his car up & running & after many nightmares we've finally got some braking pressure

RIGHT TO THE POINT NOW -

basically we had my mates starlet out tonite for the first time after a year drove the car runs sweet,BUT noticed/heard we have a knocking/clunking sound when we turn right or left the more we turn the steering to either side the more it makes the clunk noise louder.. the car is running an after market LSD gearbox which has had always the usual clunk when turning right in full lock but now we've got the noise from both sides & also when we hit a small pot hole the passenger side suspention seems like we could hear the top suspension mount knocking (1 year old meister R coilovers fitted)

not quite sure what it is but i'm guessing its from the drive-shafts ??

since the car was off road a year ago we had the suspension off (meister R's) also fitted new Cv joints & track rod ends, lower ball joints etc

we know the car needs tracking done BUT we are going to get the geometry set up all at once when this annoying clunk noise is sorted

any info & help much appreciated guys

cheers! :)

Smokey

Fresh Recruit
cv joints mate they always go :)

Dude did you read above? Says up there it got new ones!

A stupid question to ask but is everything buttoned up tight! It's too easy to miss 1 nut or bolt also are the inner cv joints ok? 1 pulled itself out on a mate changing coilovers and one of the bearings came off and dropped into the boot!

sounds like cv joints even if they were changed and the car has been sitting when they came into use may have burst still worth REchecking

johnnygt

Member +
There's your answer, nothing wrong with the car at all, it's the diff :)
Put some good oil in the box and it should shut it up a bit. Something like Motul or Redline.

Lol.. Nope its defo not the diff as i already know i had a clunk fronm the lsd when full locking towards the right
BUT now have a big knock on both sides n a knock somewhere near the top mount on passenger side have meister R's 1 year old

AdamB

Member +
The diff will knock on both sides at slow speed/low torque.

Be best to check both top mounts then if you got one on the passenger side.