Knocking noise***

gv1.3

Admin
Hi,

when I pull away in my car I get a knocking noise from what sounds like the drivers side. Might be 3 or 4 clunky knocks and once I get going it stops.

If I pull away really gently it doesnt happen but if the car jumps forward in any sort of way it happens.

Ive no idea what it is, anything I can check?

Blak_Mamber

Member +
:homer:
Hi,

when I pull away in my car I get a knocking noise from what sounds like the drivers side. Might be 3 or 4 clunky knocks and once I get going it stops.

If I pull away really gently it doesnt happen but if the car jumps forward in any sort of way it happens.

Ive no idea what it is, anything I can check?

I think im getting the same thing mate. If i put mine in 1st gear and pull away, a knocking noise that happens only once sounds like it comes from near my feet. Ive had a new clutch fitted so i dont think its that.
Im just adding to your question really mate to see if anyone has ideas and mabe it relates to your problem. ??

GTti

Member +
If you're pulling alway at low speeds and in a straight line then I'd point to worn bushes (probably the anti-roll bar). Pretty cheap and easy to replace.

Either than or an engine mount.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
i agree fully with gtti, there also is another possibilty, but i doubt it as it would make a creaking kind of sound b4 it starts to bump & that would be a wishbone.. bit liek i said i doubt it dylan..

have u ever replaced ur mounts? is the suspension bolted up well? i know its silly but is the wheel locked well?

dont worry its prob nothing man.. :)

kon

A

Animal GT

yea its your bushes or drive shaft mate,also check ur engine mounts aswell

gv1.3

Admin
cheers gtti, kon etc

I have a feeling for some reason that its drive shafts.

Maybe Im imaging things but it wasnt as bad until I had it on axel stands while i was changing the brake discs/pads/lines but since i took it off the stands it seems to be knocking more.

If it was an engine mount how would I check that? I have an engine lifter would I be able to put a strap around the engine and try lift it would I see play on the mounts?

froshtyv

Member +
Mine knocks if i let the clutch off quick,

Nearly 100% sure its my mounts as i think its the decat hitting off the bottom of the car,

You can see the engine play if you drive with the bonnet open.

gv1.3

Admin
sounds familiar .... maybe thats it then ill give it a proper inspection over the weekend

GTti

Member +
Actually I had a 'clunking' noise coming from my passenger side wheel area. Took the wheel off to fill the CV boot, since then it hasn't occured again (But it wasn't the joint).

It also knocked when I came off the clutch sometimes as froshtyv described. But as I said, cured itself.

There's alot of people on these forums that have odd noises, odd adjustment and various other problems when the suspension area has been tampered with. I think It's just down to all the bushes and components being 15 years old rather than new, tight and taught.

gv1.3

Admin
okay guys... this appears a bit worse than I thought.
When I am on the motorway at 70 and come off the accelerator the car kind of pulls to the right immediately when I lift off.

It seems to be a knock coming from the passenger side when I am at low speeds taking off in first but goes once I get going. Does this sound like a CV joint problem?

The fact that it veres to the right when I come off the pedal at 70 is a bit worrying.

I need to sort this asap as Ive to give my company car back in a week and a bit as I am leaving my current job so Ill be back in the Glanza for a bit.

Chris@CCM

Member +
sounds like a ball jont ,lower arm bushs or a track rood end . jack it up and check of any play in the wheels also get a pry bar or any sort of bar and check for play in the bushs

Last edited:

gv1.3

Admin
thanks mate im going to go at it tomorrow and see if i can find the offending part... by the way it is knocking now id say it will be easy enough to find it.

gv1.3

Admin
Right.. Got her up on axel stands today. The bushes on the rollbar look poor so i will change them. The driver side balljoint is in bits so im replacing that and the bit connecting the rollbar to the wishbone is screwed. So quick question.. Whats the bit that connects the rollbar on either side to the wishbone called?

Chris@CCM

Member +
Right.. Got her up on axel stands today. The bushes on the rollbar look poor so i will change them. The driver side balljoint is in bits so im replacing that and the bit connecting the rollbar to the wishbone is screwed. So quick question.. Whats the bit that connects the rollbar on either side to the wishbone called?
drop link

gv1.3

Admin
thanks for that.

One further question...

How do you get the balljoint off? I can get it out of the wishbone but when I undo the nut at the CV joint it goes up as far as the CV joint and hit off it. Should the balljoint drop out at this point? Will it need some gentle persuasion with a lump hammer or something?

Thanks.

gv1.3

Admin
anyone??

Also... rang toyota main dealer today to order a driver side balljoint the anti-rollbar bushes and both drop links and they never called me back. I called them again and they said that they have gotten a new parts database and they are not able to look up imports on it.... fuckin joke!

So has anyone got the part numbers for

driver side ball joint
anti rollbar bushes
driver side and passenger side drop links for rollbar to wishbone.

really appreciate it if someone has.

thanks

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
ur best bet is to ask Jay, dylan... hmmm im gonna change those soon as well.. fuckin pissed off at the moment.. my fucking wishbone went (pass side) for the 3rd FUCKING TIME!!! im sick of spending money at toyota on fuckign wishbones.. now iv spent over 200gbp on the same damn thing :( *sigh* :shoot: