knocking

adee-ep

Member +
hi people, started my glanza up the other day and waited for it to warm up. its an auto, was in park and had just fitted an adjustable acuator and a boost gauge, gave it some revs to see if my guage was working and all of a sudden heard a knocking noise. turned it of checked the oil and everything was ok. turned it back of to try and find out where it was coming from but couldnt really tell, it gets worse the more you rev it. any idea's atol what it could be ? another thing is that i just realised it has been running lean, the spark plus were white, could this have caused the damage? cheers aidan

Chris@CCM

Member +
plugs will be white so i would no worry about that but the knockn most of the time is the big end bearings tho u would need to post a vid up

rickie

Member +
Sounds like big ends to me. You say you have fitted an adjustable actuator, are you now running higher boost by any chance without the correct fuelling mods?

adee-ep

Member +
when i fitted the fcd and acuator it started hitting the fuel cut so removed fcd and pu the standard acuator on and it only started doing it then. if it was running lean what would be the damage? could this cause the knocking? cheers aidan

rickie

Member +
Trying to piece a puzzle together from all the info you gave me. I'm thinking that maybe when you bought and fitted the actuator it was already set at a level of boost that your fuelling couldn't match, and this led to hesitations which you thought was fuel cut. Because you shouldn't hit fuel cut with an FCD fitted. This would also lead to running lean and could have damaged your big ends hence the knocking.

adee-ep

Member +
ok cheers mate. a few otheres think its big end bearings aswell. how many bearings are there and how much you reackon thy will be from toyota? cheers

rickie

Member +
When the big ends went in my olg GT i just went and got another engine. Saved a lot of hassle and money for me. Some people however, if they feel their fnancial status is ok at the time, use this as a good excuse to go all the way and forge the engine as it will need to be stripped etc anyway at this stage if you want to keep the same engine.

Hope any info was helpful. It's never nice when things like this happen but rest assured you will get the help you need here when problems do raise their ugly heads :)

Rory

Lifer
I cant remember off the top of my head how much the bearings were from Toyota, but they were not expensive.

Certainly sounds like bearings have gone.

Personally rebuild your own motor, then you know what you have.

Chris@CCM

Member +
When the big ends went in my olg GT i just went and got another engine. Saved a lot of hassle and money for me. Some people however, if they feel their fnancial status is ok at the time, use this as a good excuse to go all the way and forge the engine as it will need to be stripped etc anyway at this stage if you want to keep the same engine.

Hope any info was helpful. It's never nice when things like this happen but rest assured you will get the help you need here when problems do raise their ugly heads :)
running lean will not damage the big ends