leaky council garage!?!?

dac69er

Super Moderator
my garage seems to seep in water from round the edges of the brickwork as the damp course is too low and moisture can creep in.

i was thinking bitumen paint or suchlike round the edge to try and seal it?

anyone else have any other ideas? i also have water coming in from under the garage door as it slopes back a bit. going to add a threshold and hope that improves it.

not very building minded so need a bit of advice :confused:

thanks

gv1.3

Admin
when you say seeps in water.. is it just moisture in the walls or actual puddles forming on the floor?

dac69er

Super Moderator
with these sudden showers it does pool slightly in one place. mostly its just damp, but still not good as i keep things in the garage and they get wet and rusty. my dad wont be happy when he gets his tools back that i borrowed :(

its not actually wet on the walls, just down low where the damp course is. one thing i dont get is the worst side is up against anpother garage? would ahev thought that would be the least likely to get wet???

SWGLANZA

Member +
Hey mate painting the brickwork with thompsons water seal would be a good thing to start with, also if the dampness is rising from above the dpc because it to low you could always cut a new dpc in the bed joint of the brickwork about four inches above the outside tarmac(or concrete) it may help! Hope this helps! :)

gv1.3

Admin
I would start with something simple like a coat of polybond. Just get a heavy roller and roll it on to the walls and the floor. If that didnt work then resort to more aggressive solutions.

It should also keep the dust down in the summer as it will seal the floor in a bit.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Hey mate painting the brickwork with thompsons water seal would be a good thing to start with, also if the dampness is rising from above the dpc because it to low you could always cut a new dpc in the bed joint of the brickwork about four inches above the outside tarmac(or concrete) it may help! Hope this helps! :)

if i was a bit more building minded i might have a go at that but sounds like more hassle that its worth....

might try and seal the floor then as that seems the easiest solution to try 1st of all. its only a council garage so not worried if its gonna last for ever or not.

what would be the best stuff to seal it with? something cheapish if possible?

aaronw

Member +

if your guna take the bed out the brickwork,whats guna hold the rest up?

the dpc should be minimus 150mm above ground level, the real only way would be to (if price isnt really an issue as i dont know the price) get a company to drill in2 the wall and then they inject a dpc that works its way round the bricks,mainly done on old stone buildinds as there was no dpc in them days.

bitumin would be ok on the outside but if the bricks and mortar are already damp itll stop further damp but may get worse on the effected areas.

...guess my day job, bricklayer,hehe

Craig_GT

Lifer
the dpc should be minimus 150mm above ground level, the real only way would be to (if price isnt really an issue as i dont know the price) get a company to drill in2 the wall and then they inject a dpc that works its way round the bricks,mainly done on old stone buildinds as there was no dpc in them days.

bitumin would be ok on the outside but if the bricks and mortar are already damp itll stop further damp but may get worse on the effected areas.

You cant do that on a single skin brick wall though can you?? thats cavity insulation thats injected??

guess my job.. architect ;)

aaronw

Member +
just re-read your post,lol.

i dont see why you cant inject a singl skin,itll prob be 4" thick with brick or block,or even better tho less likly 6" block.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
its a council garage so not masively fussed. just want to do it cheap as possible and just want to improve it as much as possible basically. it only seeps in when it pisses down hard.

cant really get to the outside as thats in someones garden and the other side that lets in water is up against the next garage in the block!!

would it be worth my while trying to seal down the bottom of the walls or would i be wasting my time?

aaronw

Member +
wasting time,as its just damp climbing up the wall,best way would be to paint bitumin on from ground levet to 150mm above,as the dpc will be under that and thatll offer more protection. tho its kinda lost cause.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i just want to bodge it to stop the stuff in the garage getting soaked when the good old english weather is doing its normal thing.

i should be able to get bitumin paint for nothing from work so thats why i was thinking along those lines.

wouldnt sealing the moisture from crepping in lower down stop it as it will take alot more moisture for it to creep up higher than the paint and start leaking in again?

aaronw

Member +
yeh itll slow the damp down if its painted. there should be air brick vents in the garage wall to keep the damp at a minimum as the air circulates inside.

SWGLANZA

Member +
if your guna take the bed out the brickwork,whats guna hold the rest up?

Lol im a brickie too ;), you dont cut the whole of the bed out just half or three quarters then silcone in a dpc, kinda like a vertical damp! Seems a bit of a bodge but iv seen it done lol! Chemical injection couldnt be done on a single brick wall! Agree with you though that its kind of a lost cause like i said firstly best bet is a waterseal or bitumen!

dac69er

Super Moderator
I had a leaky council gritter once. Put it down to a bad curry.

^^^^ spammer, cancel his account :p

gonna give sealing it up a go. just gotta wait for a dry spell so i can do it. i have no air bricks, but its a corrugated asbestos roof and there is a decent air gap at the rear of the garage where the roof meets the wall.

aaronw

Member +
Lol im a brickie too ;), you dont cut the whole of the bed out just half or three quarters then silcone in a dpc, kinda like a vertical damp! Seems a bit of a bodge but iv seen it done lol! Chemical injection couldnt be done on a single brick wall! Agree with you though that its kind of a lost cause like i said firstly best bet is a waterseal or bitumen!

sorry bud,hope i didnt offend u.

ive never heard of doing that with silicone,i think if it was built with blocks u cound chemical inject it,but not so much bricks. i know what your saying tho.

Neal

Member +
check where the drains run aswell, as on my old garage i had a drain running between mine and the next garage which used to piss water out everywhere when it rained hard!