learn a new language?

wesgt

Lifer
been out of secondry school 9 years this summer, i did french in school and was pretty good at it, it was the only subject i really enjoyed, i even did my own homework and about three other friends also on occasion lol. like a lot of people now i find myself with a lot of free time, so i want to get back into it! my aim is to be able to have a proper conversation in french, to become fluent would be brilliant! so my question is, has anyone on here did anythng similar, whats the best way, any good sites, penpal sites etc. i looked on google already and joined a language exchange site, but just looking for peoples experiences or info!

i know the best way is to go and live in a french speaking country but thats not an option at the moment.
merci :haha:

wesgt

Lifer
yeh i'm going back to college but not til sep 2011, going to do something that has french then, but just looking for something in the meantime. yeh i saw the ads for rosettastone

ALaN

Member +
I work with a Spanish lad and have been picking up bits and pieces.
There's a fair few folk around this forum need to learn English before trying a second language lol

Knightsy-EP91

Member +
Learnt spanish in 6th form and really liked it but i have forgotten quite a lot i think you need to speak to people enough to keep it in your system :) Would love to try learn japanese lol

starbuck

Member +
I s'pose living in the country you want to learn the language of would be the best idea like mentioned.

I did a basic Japanese course at college......boy was that hard... would love to learn it properly. I did German for a while as well.

addz

Member +
Nice to see someone learning another language, takes some work too.

Do Spanish, Spanish birds are much fitter :p but French birds ain't too bad:) i'm fluent in 2 languages fortunately, one being English and the other my indigenous. That Rosetta Stone is expensive or what!

Brendanlez

Member +
My dad and one of my brothers are using Rosetta Stone and have learned alot from it, my 3 year old nephew has even learned some spanish just being in the same room as them when they are using the computer so i would say it seems to be pretty good

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i can speak good english good italian and obviously maltese.. little bit spanish and a little bit arabic.

i wish i can learn jappanise

wesgt

Lifer
Nice to see someone learning another language, takes some work too.

Do Spanish, Spanish birds are much fitter :p but French birds ain't too bad:) i'm fluent in 2 languages fortunately, one being English and the other my indigenous. That Rosetta Stone is expensive or what!

lol i just chose french because it was the only language available in my school and i was good at it!

My dad and one of my brothers are using Rosetta Stone and have learned alot from it, my 3 year old nephew has even learned some spanish just being in the same room as them when they are using the computer so i would say it seems to be pretty good

sounds good! i have lots of time on my hands now so will get stuck in. if i was in france i would have enough to get by but want to improve

lingl9z

Member +
I learnt chinese while my brother learnt japanese, a good 5years or so ago, since I've not used it (at all) I've pretty much forgotten 99% I still know a few bits but not enough for a convo....! I can write a few bits in symbols too.

lingl9z

Member +
exactly lol! I did have plans to travel but circumstances changed so it slowly drifted away, French is pretty easy to pick up to be fair, I've a few french mates and often speak french to them, takes a while for it to come back but it does :D

wesgt

Lifer
exactly lol! I did have plans to travel but circumstances changed so it slowly drifted away, French is pretty easy to pick up to be fair, I've a few french mates and often speak french to them, takes a while for it to come back but it does :D

yeh i used to be able to hold a conversation, but its gone now from lack of use. i'd say it will come back once i start into it again