Learning how to weld any help will be appreciated

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Dont think welding is any easy task mate.

I went through a 1 year course for welding, very easy to over heat the metal and start burning holes through it.

EDIT:

Had a search for you bud, this website gives just as good information on how to:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm

I advise you practice of some scrap pieces until you get the hang of the neatness and not using too much wire mate.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
you cant really go wrong with mig though ;)

the most important thing is to know what settings to use. once the welding set is setup its relatively easy to get a half decent weld.

jam35

Member +
depends what you welding star with sheet metal to practice your welds and play with the gas+speed control to find your happy medium

simonleeds

Member +
depends what your welding and how much your doing
steer well clear of the disposable bottels as they cost a fortune for the amount of gas you get

lew777

Member +
just get a stick welding plant mate, if your practicing you will go through shit load of mig wire and gas. with the stick set all you need is electrodes. practice on 6mm plate or higher. welding isnt easy but once u know how to weld its a piece of piss trust me........im a welder

ryan-11

Member +
you cant really go wrong with mig though ;)

the most important thing is to know what settings to use. once the welding set is setup its relatively easy to get a half decent weld.

x2 when u get the setting right its fairly straight foward, just need to practice

dac69er

Super Moderator
i would look for a welder that can do stick as well. that way you dont have to use gas all the time ;)

simonleeds

Member +
really depends on what your doin
sticks good for a beginer for thick stuff but the thinner you go the more you'll struggle fo automotive stuff mig or tig tigs very good more controlled you get less warp etc and a very high standard of finish ive got all three arc stick and mig i use tig for the car and stick for the tractors / heavyer stuff
like i said depends on what your doing

throw pride out the window and find a welder friend to show you the basics youll learn more in 15 mins than you will in 3 weeks trying to work it all out yourself

dac69er

Super Moderator
so a gass and gasless welder but uses two types of wire hard wire and flux wire?

what do you want it for exactly mate? is it for fabricating things? repairing cars???

different welders are good for different things.

a stick welder would be a good start though, especially if your not going to be welding much.

i like tig welding as it doesnt give loads of splatter so is good for welding in the car where there are carpets etc. i cant tig weld myself though ;)

i have bin learning to weld recently mig, tig and arc welding but what ever you do wear a face mask not goggles. i burnt my face stupid lol went proper crusty after a few days looked rotten. so be warned:rockon:

simonleeds

Member +
good point invest in an auto tint mask you'll find it so much easyer as a beginner as you can see as normal untill you arc up makes it easer for tacking up etc really does help alot
and dont look at the arc with the naked eye even for a second i did it once with a tricky weld and trust me mate its not worth it staying awake all night with burnt eyeball and cold teabags on yoou eyes isnt worth it ts like somones tipped sharp sand in you eyes and you'd think id of learnt my lesson the first time........hence now i have a auto darkening mask

scot-ish

Member +
ive got a thing for it, an old word doc i got, give me a second i'll hunt for it, helped me a little, but practise is the best thing

starlet666

Member +
mig is the easist to learn but tig welding is where its at.... tig welds are always cleaner and better but very hard to get right....but when ya do the welds from a tig are second to none

manifolds and stuff like that though would say just get a mig for pure ease of use

scot-ish

Member +
most people just make a mess with mig, and then try to tidy it up with a grinder, as said, tig is the best, once you get used to it.