Legal to keep on the road?

gregep82

Member +
Reet.....

Basically i've ran out of mot and its booked in for a week today while i fix things and recieve bits to make it pass the mot. Yes, I know, left it late...

It's insured and taxed so.....

Is it ok to have it parked on the road outside my house? or will I get fookd for it?

DVLA vans are hammering the area at the moment, so a little bit on edge as I don't know the rules on these things.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Yes its an offence.

This means that if it goes to court, the prosecution do not need to show you intended to use the car without an MOT. They simply need to show that the car, in fact, had no MOT. Your reasons for failing to have a certificate are irrelevant to your guilt or innocence.

So, if you park your car on a public road without a valid MOT, you can be prosecuted, simple as.

I think the relevent legislation is section 47 of the 1988 RTA.

gregep82

Member +
Fun!

I have no where to park it off the road to be honest. If its just a 60 quid fine for instance, then i can deal with that.

Just don't want my car being towed or points etc.

I'm trying to find information on the DVLA website, but cant really find anything.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Ive forgot about my MOT before & still been driving around for about 3 weeks after lol.

It should be cool in the road, but as Beatz has explained about it being illegal (i didnt know this), its up to you if you choose to do this.

gregep82

Member +
You get bitten in the arse for everything nowadays :mad:

Ah well, I'm not driving it at all, so with a bit of luck they won't attack me lol.

Try and get my mot done as quickly as poss I guess then!

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Unlikely theyll come directly after your car, but the MOT proves your car is road worthy on the day (although it covers you for the year), so if you dont have one then its not road worthy and shouldnt be on the road :).

GTti

Member +
You can only drive on public roads without an MOT if you are on the way to an MOT station for an appointment. And driving it back from an MOT failure.

Not sure about the legality of parking it on public road without an MOT, but I would suspect it's illegal.

Sigma

Member +
I think if it's booked in for an MOT, then you're allowed to keep it on the road, but obviously not drive it unless you're making the journey to the MOT Station.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
I think if it's booked in for an MOT, then you're allowed to keep it on the road, but obviously not drive it unless you're making the journey to the MOT Station.

All that does is allow you to drive it on the day of its MOT to the MOT centre, not justify why its on the public road before hand.

Nayls

Member +
should be fine,but if you want to be on the safe side,drive it on to some bricks/wack it on axle stands etc then it's not actually on the road ;)

lingl9z

Member +
As far as I know you must have MOT/Tax and insurance for your car to be parked on a public road... takes the piss tbh makes me wonder why we have to pay road tax if we have it and can't park on the road.. but at the same time it makes sence, if a car hits your car while missing one of the above they can actually get you done / if your car was to roll and hit someone else's.

I was told it's not on the road if it's x amount of inches off the ground, don't know how true it is though.