light Grinding noise

Just need a bit of help please

Yesterday i was giving my car some and when i got home there seemed to be a very light grinding noise comming from the engine,i think its comming from the left hand side,ive had a look but cant see any obvous that would cause it,the car is still driving and bosting normall,

When i rev the engine the grinding happends the same time

Any ideas what this could be

Thank you

Dave.

Member +
the left hand side that all the belts are on (depends on where you're standing, if you know what i mean)?

Monkfish

Member +
If it's all the time when the engine is running and the car isn't rolling, I'd be tempted to check the bearings on the pulleys, they could be shot. Failing that you'd be looking at something more sinister :(

ill do that tonite,i take it they would woble if there was play in it yea??
So leave the cambelt on but just check the pullys :S how can i do that when the cambelt is on

New to all this Starlet stuff see mike :p

Im only trained in saxos lol

Monkfish

Member +
I'm on about the auxillery belts, the ones driving the alternator, power steering pump, air con (If you still have it) etc etc. The cam belt is under a cover anyway. Remove the belts and check the pulleys for play. They will wobble about if the bearings and shot. Also turn them, you'll feel any grinding. If there is nothing obviously wrong with the aux pulleys, take the cover off the cam belt and check for any obvious signs of wear or something stuck in there. If there's nothing, it's something more serious :(

just had a good look on my lunch break,im pritty sure its comming from one of the aux pulleys,im taking it up the garage after work and my mate is going to have a look

If it was somthing more serious would i lose power at all

Fingers crossed

Just want to hyjack while i can.. regarding the pullys, what pully is right at the bottomon the drivers side. think it drives something that says denso on it.. but dosent look like the alternator?

might be, if its leaking coolent.. should i be worried?

Its not near the front, its right at the back.. kinda inline with the end of the cover that goes under the car/engine bay.. the water its this and then drips off.. about as far back as it is i belive.. its driven by one of the belts.. could be air con?

Pumba_GT

Member +
might be, if its leaking coolent.. should i be worried?

Its not near the front, its right at the back.. kinda inline with the end of the cover that goes under the car/engine bay.. the water its this and then drips off.. about as far back as it is i belive.. its driven by one of the belts.. could be air con?

That's the alternator unit for sure, Oli.

Is it servicable/Easily fixed? I dont think its oil to be honist.. it feels more like water, but slightly lubricated.. dident smell like oil either to be honist.. the water level does slowly drop over a couple of months though.. Sorry for Hijack!

well guys i have some great news,there was a sheild type of thing(hard to explain) rubbing against the fan belt,so i ripped it off and now its all sorted :)

Monkfish

Member +
well guys i have some great news,there was a sheild type of thing(hard to explain) rubbing against the fan belt,so i ripped it off and now its all sorted :)

Starlets don't have fan belts ;)

At least it's nothing serious. Was there any damage to the belt? The last thing you want is her taking a dislike to it and throwing it into the bushes :p

that what i was told anyway,whatever it was there was a sheild which was hanging down rubbing against the bottom pulley

so i ripped the F***Kin thing of

Im awaiting more problems now