light steering just not confident!

twaiter

Member +
ive noticed the steering is pretty light, i know they usually are but it doesnt give me much confidence in terms of cornering becuase their is next to no feedback.

tyres pressures are all fine and it doesnt pull to either side on flat road..

it does feel a bit lighter turning left than right on flat surfaces ive noticed.

All fluid levels look fine..
any thoughts?

studoc72

Member +
Had this issue for a good while with my car it just didnt feel right. Finally changed my suspension and what a difference. You might find your shockers have leaked all their fluid. As above whats your tyre profile? If you have anything over 185 and under 55 id assume thats not your issue. Check your suspension and steering components for play.

dark_knight

Member +
studoc72, suspension to cause light steering..? that would be a first.. unless you perhaps meant tracking issues..? tire choice and steering system health would be my usual suspects here.. :)

twaiter

Member +
I got a new front setup but it feels just the same.. I suppose I could get the tracking checked but I suspect its fine. I think the tyres are 165/55/15 ill double check though..

studoc72

Member +
dark_knight. Would that be a first? So would you be able to tell me what suspension does my friend? The objective of suspension is to keep the wheels on the ground mate. When shockers are leaking and not dampening the up and down movements of the wheel. The wheel begins to oscilate and and there for is not in constant contact with the ground when at speed. Causing????? you guessed it light steering? Ive spent my working life as a mechanic and would prefer if you didnt question my integrity from experience i have found this exact problem and the suspension being the route cause. I was only trying to be of some help. I did not dismiss your theory id prefer you did not question mine!

dac69er

Super Moderator
i have the same issue on my ep85. i have fitted brand new coilovers and new wheels and tires and its no better.

everything else seems in order so will just have to start changing things until i find the issue :s

Murray

Member +
Toe out can cause instability and a light feeling aswell, only in a straight line though.
Get your alignment done and report back

Murray

dark_knight

Member +
light wheel

studoc72, not trying to start a fight mate. just saying (& as you rightfully mentioned) at speed, the steering can get light coz the tires then spend more time in the air than on the ground. the original post mentioned no such thing of the steering (only) getting light at speed.. so i would be right in presuming that this is an all-the-time problem even when crawling around at 10mph, hence my pointer to check the tire profile etc.
& where did "questioning your integrity from experience" vybe come from..? :) lighten up mate. we are all here to learn and help others out of their problems. really not trying to get into a tussle with you.. :)

studoc72

Member +
I presumed from the way in which you replied that you were questioning my theory. I only mentioned this because it sounds like the exact issue i used to have with my car anythin over 20 mph in a corner you felt you were completely out of touch with the wheels. Im not trying to start any fights just felt like the comment was a bit of a shot at my input and if it was taken out of context then that is fairdoos and all is forgotten. Just backing up my opinion theres no hard feelings ;)

twaiter

Member +
Yeh the lightness doesnt change as the speed goes up its just light all the time and i dont really like it..

GP82

Member +
A friend with a 2008 Subaru always complained about his steering being too light. To cure it i think i recall him using some sort of additive or maybe altogether replacing his power steering fluid with another and he seemed to be happy with the steering after this was done. I will speak to him and find out what he used and report back.

dark_knight

Member +
all this time you have not told us what tire profile you are running twaiter. i'm a prime example; when i upgraded from 185/70/14 tires to 205/50/15, my steering felt like an 18-wheeler truck steering with a failed hydraulic system, but it made perfect sense because of the now larger tire footprint.
also, the starlet is already a light car at just under a tonne so if you are used to driving bigger and much heavier cars, even if nothing is wrong on the starlet, it will still feel light so why not have another starlet gearhead drive yours and actually confirm that it is indeed lighter than normal..? either that or you have very strong arms.. :D hehehe